Results for $200 in nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by MowzerXD, Nov 23, 2017.

1. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

I recently went through $200 in nickels. A couple of cool finds. I got 1 very warn 1944P silver, a buffalo, a handful of really nice 50's, 60's, and 70's, and a 1957 proof. I also got a really nice 1992D. I'm new to collecting newer US coins and i would like some advice on the 1992. It is in great condition with its original luster and full steps. PCGS price is $3000 in MS67, but i highly doubt im that lucky. If you'd like pictures of the 1992 just let me know and i can provide.
    DSC00239.JPG DSC00240.JPG DSC00241.JPG DSC00242.JPG DSC00243.JPG DSC00244.JPG

Kasia and ken454 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Congrats! A Buffalo! Fun find. Nice to find a silver War nickel, too.

The PCGS Price Guide is for coins graded by PCGS. Your chances of getting a 1992-D to grade MS67 are very slim indeed, which is why the quoted price is so high. But even if you did have a PCGS MS67, I wouldn't hold your breath trying to get $3K for it.

4. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

Yeah i've seen them go for usually around $1.7k max. Looking at it magnified now there are a few imperfections in the field and i'd probably guess a solid 65. Also im new to proofs. Is there any definite way to tell whether that 1957 is a warn proof, or a great strike of a normal 57'? The only reason im guessing its a proof is because its just barely mirrored with full steps.

5. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

I meant to reply to your comment but accidentally posted on my thread lol. anyways my reply and question is on my thread

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The '57 looks like an impaired proof. Someone got into dad or grandpa's coin collection it seems.

7. lordmarcovan

I think you mean worn, not "warn".

Here is a comparison of the edges of a proof coin and a business strike coin (in this case, Lincoln cents). The proof is on the left. See how much more squared-off the edge and rim are?

[​IMG]
    Image source

Here (again using Lincoln cent examples) is a comparison between a proof and a business strike. As I'm sure you suspected, the proof (in this case on the right) has deeply mirrored surfaces.

[​IMG]

Image source

Your 1957 nickel does look rather prooflike, but I don't think it is a proof. Even if it is, an impaired proof 1957 Jefferson nickel is not going to be worth much at all. Per Numismedia trends, a PR60 is worth 36 cents.

8. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

Heres some better pictures. Im not worried about value just curious if its a proof or just a really strong business strike. I'm thinking proof even though a business strike with full steps would have a lot more value.
    DSC00251.JPG DSC00252.JPG DSC00253.JPG

9. lordmarcovan

Hmm. Looking at that edge, that does look like a proof! Interesting! Not worth much, but fun find. Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted