Restrikes of classic designs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by EdGs, Jun 11, 2015.

1. EdGs

EdGs Member

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what would you think of the Mint putting out restrikes of classic coins in the original size/denomination with current dates, such as:

2016 standing liberty quarter, or 2016 walking liberty half, or 2016 mercury dime for the 100th anniversary

Or even a large cent, or a bust half, or flowing hair dollar, etc.....

The only thing that I would like there to be with this would be to use the original designs and reliefs (Most modern circulation coins have a lot of detail but are shallow and lifeless, or just fugly, IMO.).

This could even have been done for almost any classic design, not necessarily having to be connected with an issue anniversary, but just because these designs are simply beautiful.

What say you?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Gilbert likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I might be interested if they were minted in their original composition and were reasonably priced.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Personally, I do not think that classic coin designs can successfully be manufactured with today's modern equipment.

In 2006, one of the commemoratives was the Granite Lady in which the reverse of a Morgan Dollar was incorporated. It came out terrible and the commem simply was not very popular. Sure, there was a 6 month hype wave which surrounded the release but after that, the coin dropped to what every other commem costs in today's market.

It's not so much the design as much as it is the relief and they just cannot seem to get that correct.

Gilbert likes this.
  5. EdGs

EdGs Member

rickmp, that's what I was thinking. Or they could produce a certain number of pieces, say 100,000, and maybe have a sort of lottery where you register 1 time and they pick the lucky recipients to receive 1 piece. Hopefully it could be done so that all have an equal shot at getting one and people couldn't hog them.

joecoincollect likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Mint has been turning out so many poorly designed coins that they should consider minting an "IOU" commem.

Chris

7. EdGs

EdGs Member

Hard to believe they can't do it. Even the coins from 20-30 years ago had better relief than the crap they put out today.

joecoincollect likes this.
  8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Not me.

I'm looking for the mint and Congress to go back to making money the old-fashioned way . . . no more if this flash-in-the-pan, easy-to-sucker'em-in, contrived rarity dreck. Quick, laser-scanned images transferred to dies, and reproductions of someone else's numismatic artistry do little to reinforce the notion that we all owe it to ourselves and to our country to work hard, and not take short-cuts to the finish line.

I want to see original designs again, with timeless appeal, representing the principles upon which this nation was built.

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Active Member

This is downright hilarious. :D

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Active Member

Wow.. Nicely put. :). I bet you could come up with some great designs with passion like that! :)

11. EdGs

EdGs Member

That is very nicely put. Timeless appeal. Even if I am not fond of say, the Barber coins, they all are beautiful because of the timeless appeal

I didn't necessarily mean to make them super rare, but if they did a rarer version within a series, just give the general public the same shot at getting one, whatever the mintage.

12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Well the mint is doing the three coins you listed although they will be minted in gold as coins and potentially silver as medals. They could also mint them in platinum as coins as well because no new legislation is needed to do that.

Although I personally would have liked to see the mint change the 2016 circulating coinage to the 1916 designs for the above three coins even if for only 2016. Sort of like the bicentennial coins in 75-76. I think that it would lead to an increase in attention of our coinage and perhaps hook a few new collectors. The state quarter excitement pretty much died out a long time ago but the mint simply continues along with national parks, etc.

TaterTot likes this.
  13. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I would pay for a modern-day "type" set where they came out with re-strikes of each coin ever minted (skipping minor varieties). A few every year. Have artisans do due diligence in creating painstakingly exact reproductions in the original metal composition, changing only the date to be the current year.

It would be like Daniel Carr or Ken Potter but better.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I've seen this reported and I don't understand it at all. Isn't Congress a rubber stamp for new mint products? Why can't the mint get approval for silver versions of these coins? I won't be buying any of these unless there's silver COIN options.

15. statequarterguy

They can do it if the desire is there. The 1964 versions of the 2014 silver Kennedy Halves look pretty good, except for the EU, which they totally blew.

16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

It's mostly because of how long it takes congress to get anything accomplished. Silver versions would need new legislation to be proposed, then voted on, etc. They could mint them as silver medals I believe without legislation. Usually commemorative coin legislation gets proposed a few years before the coins are actually struck. For instance anyone who would like to see some type of Ike 50 year anniversary set in 2021 should be talking to their house and senate representatives around now trying to convince them to get behind the idea.

http://www.coinnews.net/2015/02/06/us-mint-2016-24k-gold-coins-to-celebrate-1916-designs/

17. statequarterguy

Yeah, they could passed this a lot faster by attaching it to another bill, like they do with many. And, they've had years to get this done, what are they waiting for? If they do medals instead of coins, they'll get much lower medal sales instead of coin sales.

18. 19Lyds

National Parks Quarters would be much more popular "IF" the Federal Reserve made it possible to have banks order them by the box!

The primary difference between the America the Beautiful (National Parks) quarters and the State Quarters programs is that banks could order the State Quarters by the box. This has not happened with the ATB Quarters and finding complete rolls can be challenging if not impossible since circulation quarters are always mixed in with the new releases.

As for older coinage designs? They'd screw it up since, despite what they claim, their production processes have moved them way out of the "World Class Mint" category and straight into the "Fast and Furious Class" of Mint.

Does anybody ever wonder why they produce so much stuff? Where does it all go?
    By that I mean, its not like folks are tossing these into Landfills by the bucket loads and they last for 30+ years.

What's eating them up?

19. 19Lyds

"Gold Coins" can be produced by the Treasury without congressional approval. That's how the Gold Kennedy Half Dollar came into existence. Silver, on the other hand, requires congressional legislation.

20. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would not be interested at all. Nothing tops the originals. :)

JPeace$ likes this.
  21. statequarterguy

They're in my hoard.

Draft saved Draft deleted