Restrikes: anyway to tell restrike from original?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ffrickey, Sep 23, 2009.

1. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

There are a number of coins relatively recently struck from old dies, e.g. one of the handsomest is the 1915 Austrian 4-dukat piece, restruck ca. 1969 and maybe later. When a restrike is made, are all the old originals automatically devalued, or is there some way to discriminate the restrike from an original coin?:confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

It all depends.

If the original dies are used without alteration, and the same metallic alloy is used, there's generally no way to tell.

Some restrikes, however, have distinctive features that differentiate them. For example, read about Maria Theresa thalers, dated 1780, and still being restruck by Austria today.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There were no Ducat or 4 Ducat coins actually struck in 1915, the first full year of WWI, they were struck with frozen dates because the older coins were familiar to people - and the early date gave it some validity. I am not sure if they are still striking them after the advent of the Philarmoniker, if not, they struck them right up until very recently.

The 4 Ducats is neat because it is a very thin wafer like coin but it has the outward appearance of being a large gold coin even though it only weighs .44 oz. These are also .986 fine, which for a long time was one of the finest gold trade coins struck.

5. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

1915 4 Dukat

So 1915 4-Dukat pieces are by definition restrikes, and if I found a 1914 or 1899 piece it would not be? (Assuming the Austrian govt didn't cheat.)

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Right. But the originals go for exponentially more than the gold value.

7. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

You can say that again. "Gold Coins of the World" 8th Ed. tells me there is also a restrike of the 1873 4-ducat worth around $1400, but the original is worth more like $18000. Any way to tell them apart that you know of?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Say what ?? An 1873 Austrian 4 ducat that is worth $18,000 ? :eek:

You sure you're reading that right ?

9. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

$18000 4-ducat

That's what "Gold Coins of the World" (8th Ed.) says on page 118, about item 500 under Austria. It has a young Franz Josef's head in a circle of shields, and the description says "On the Vienna Shooting Match". Estimated price $13500 for EF, 18500 for Unc.

There is also 497: an 1866 gold crown for $6000 EF, $10000 Unc. Of course the chances of actually finding an uncirculated example must be vanishingly small.

But with numbers like this, the difference between the restrike and the original becomes very interesting.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll check the books, but that isn't even a coin. It's a shooting medal. Far, far different from an ordinary 1873 4 ducat. The 1873 4 ducat has the "oldest" bust, not a young version. And I rather doubt there was a restrike.

It almost sounds like you think all coins had restrikes - they didn't. Very few do actually. Among the Austrian ducats, only the 1915 dated coins are restrikes and they are all patterned after the 1914 versions.

11. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

No, I am not under the illusion that everything has restrikes, recognize they are infrequent (as well they should be). But if a coin is really gorgeous like the 4 ducat piece, and if the difference between original and restrike is as simple as the date, then I'm glad the Austrians made it.

In any event, thanks for all feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted