Restoration coinage updates

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jan 17, 2021.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Updated Restoration coinage Links:

Trajan’s Restoration/Restitution coinage was based on different criteria and he issued it in bronze, silver and gold. He also issued this coinage to honor Distinguished Republican families. Click on the following link for information relating to a CNG listing for a Trajan Restoration/Restitution of a Julius Caesar aureus Note especially the Curtis Clay and Harold Mattingly information.

Links relating to the Titus Restoration coinage:

Sear Roman Coins and their Values (RCV 2000 Edition) Number 2601 (via Wildwinds Claudius)

Sale: CNG, Triton XII, Lot: 555 (5 January 2009) (relating to the Titus restoration of the Claudius Spes sestertius)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    svessien, cmezner, Curtisimo and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Sear RCV II lists 16 Roman Republican denarii and three Imperatorials reissued as part of Trajan's "restoration" coinage. Keeping in mind that I've only been actively collecting Roman coins for about 3 1/2 years, I've never come across a single one of them on the market. Has anyone else?

4. singig

singig Well-Known Member

@PeteB has one , is posted in the ''Trajan's historical types'' thread.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. singig

singig Well-Known Member

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks. All I can say is "Wow." Too rich for my blood, but they're gorgeous. I wonder what the mintage was on these restored Republican issues, and how much they actually circulated. It appears that my assumption that they're very rare was correct. I'd like to imagine that they mostly ended up in the hands of the proto-numismatists of the day. After all, whoever engraved the dies must have had access to well-preserved examples of the original Republican issues. They're way too close for that not to be the case. (I believe the theory that the actual old Republican dies had been preserved and were re-used has gotten little or no support.)

singig and cmezner like this.
  7. jamesicus

I have seen very few, Donna - mostly at large coin shows (and always expensive).

singig and DonnaML like this.
  8. jamesicus

There is a long story about how I researched and acquired this coin. I am just too tired to write that up now, but I will do so shortly ……… if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    cmezner and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted