?Resonable price for VG-F 1877 indian head penny?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Michael Bertono, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Hey guys ive bin starting to save up for a pcgs or ngc slabbed VG-F 1877 indian head cent. What is a resonable price to pay for this coin because ive seen prices all over the place and i usally dont believe price guides are always accurate. Thanks in advanced to the cointalk community

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In brown they go for $700-$800 at auction.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  4. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

For a VG10 with whl being around 750.00...one sold in May 2017 for 588.00

5. fish4uinmd

BTW, welcome to CT...I would highly recommend that you buy one that is slabbed by PCGS or NGC...I think most here would agree with me.

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Thanks for the kind welcome and all the info guys . ive always heard to try to stay away from purchasing anything ANACS or IGC . Im guessing that still remains true?

7. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

ANACS in my opinion is fantastic for verifying varieties and authenticating low grade key dates. No one will disagree with their pronouncements. Lately people have begun preferring NGC and PCGS. That began because they would buy back coins that they had over graded for the value of the assigned grade. Don't know if they
    do that anymore. In my own collection only key dates are slabbed. Excess slabs that come in are sold or traded to other people. Third party grading destroyed baseball cards and comic books and stamps. Then they moved into coins. By destroyed I mean annihilated. Check into the lawsuits from Mickey Mantle rookie cards that literally disintegrated after being slabbed and the Superman #1 comics that are no longer with us plus the one cent penny black stamps lost forever because some idiot wanted to get paid for his opinion. I'm told that the earliest slabs used PVC and are now green slugs. I'm sure that if they had not cured that little problem no one would be getting coins slabbed anymore. In my opinion I prefer to be able to look at my coins. If I did not want to do that I would by stocks and bonds.

eddiespin likes this.
  8. fish4uinmd

Might suggest you read this article...some who collect all US cents, consider the 1877 IHC to be more scarce (especially in VF25 and up) than the 1909 S VDB.

http://www.coinstudy.com/1877-indian-head-penny-value.html

Michael K likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is it true that the mintage numbers for the 1877 are not accurate, and much less were produced than the number suggests?
    A highly counterfeited coin, you really have to make sure you are getting an authentic piece.
    Coins like this don't really have the appeal for me, because what am I going to do, stick it in a safe box and look at it once a year? (That's just my opinion.)

10. fish4uinmd

I'd like to know the answer to that first??? Not a very attractive coin, but certainly a key coin for an investment...>>?? I also think there is a broader market for coins like the '09S VDB, '24 D and '22 NoD...with the latter being sought after in strong rev.

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

$250-$350 on ebay.

12. fish4uinmd

For what grade??

13. Michael K

I have seen damaged ones for less, but if that 250-350 is in good shape and ungraded I would be suspicious of a counterfeit.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm with you, Sportster XLCH.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sure if you want something that's damaged or really ugly.

16. Dynwyrm

Dynwyrm New Member

I paid $550 for one in an ANACS slab fwiw.

17. fish4uinmd

AG
    fwiw??

18. Michael K

For what it's worth.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  19. fish4uinmd

Thanks, still no grade indicated.

20. fish4uinmd

21. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Two ways to get an idea of what an 1877 Indian cent will cost: do an advanced search on eBay looking at sold coins and search the Heritage Auction Archives (ha.com). You'll find many examples in the grades you're interested in.

fish4uinmd and Michael Bertono like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted