Republicans doing things

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 5, 2018.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have often expressed my strong aversion for coin types showing nothing more than someone standing there. I don't care if you are a major god from Olympus, don't just stand there, throw a thunderbolt or carry off a struggling maiden --- do something. My coin show purchases from yesterday included two Roman Republican types showing action heroes. Both were issued by junior, aspiring politicians who wanted you to associate them with a Roman hero who just happened to be their grandfather. At that time it was unacceptable to blow your own horn but pointing out that you were descended from a long line of saviors of the State was perfectly acceptable.

The first of M. Servilius requires the viewer to know the details of the battle scene with two warriors fighting with hoses rearing in the background. Grandpa was a war hero. The coin has a dark tone concealing some nicks that would ruin its slabber surface rating more than its eye appeal. The part that is important to me is the reverse figures are fighting and not just posing for the camera.

M. Servilius C.f. 100 BC. AR Denarius Helmeted head of Roma right; Pi to left / Two warriors fighting on foot, each armed with sword and shield, horse prancing behind each; I in exergue. Crawford 327/1; Servilia 13. r13230fd2125.jpg

The other is more specific showing the action of family pride was in the war in Sicily. This issue of 71 BC is the first appearance on a coin of the title IIIVIR (Triumvir). We add a few points for the obverse head not being the ordinary Roma but Virtus. In Republican terms, 'standing there' coins I prefer to avoid include Roma heads and someone driving a horse drawn chariot. There are just too many of that common type so it is nice to have something else. Here we see Manius son (filius) of Manius and grandson (nepos) of Manius the hero of Sicily. I find a bit of interest in the impression of the edge of the reverse die showing the size of the punch as it crosses the serrations at reverse left. Is Sicily holding something in her right hand or is that just an overly long arm?

Mn. Aquillius Mn. f. Mn. n. 71 BC. AR Denarius VIRTVS III VIR, helmeted bust of Virtus right / MN. AQVIL. MN. F. MN. N., the consul Man. Aquillius facing, head right, raising Sicilia. Crawford 401/1; Aquillia 2.
    r26680fd2719.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see there is debate on the date of the second type but my family schedule suggests I leave that research until later.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I do like a good action reverse. Nice coins Doug. Here's another Republican action shot

SERVILLIA.jpg
    82-80 BC C. Servilius Vatia Restoration
    Laureate head of Apollo right; lituus and B behind, mark of value below chin (XVI monogram)

Battle between two mounted horsemen, the one on the left armed with a sword, the other with spear, his shield inscribed M
    C SERVEIL

Restored Issue 82-80 BC.
    Original being of C. Servilius 127 BC

3.48g

Crawford 370/1b; Sydenham 720; Servilia 7
    Scarce

ex-Canadian Coin

This is the Wildwinds example!

David Sear's Millennial addition comments:

"This type represents a remarkable revival of the issues of the monetary triumvirate which had held office approximately 45 years earlier though with the substitution of Apollo for the Roma head on the obverse. As well as being complimentary to several of Sulla's most prominent supporters Crawford suggests that their true purpose was to enable Sulla to issue a civil coinage without appointing a new triumvirate of moneyers for 82 BC or, alternatively, to celebrate the restoration of the Republic in 80."

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I like the depictions of the Dioscuri... This is numismatically described as "galloping"... I feel it is more as prancing or rearing...

RR Servilius 136 BCE Roma Dioscuri galloping S 116 Cr 239-1.jpg
    RR Servilius 136 BCE Roma Dioscuri galloping Sear 116 Craw 239-1

What is Rome without GLADIATORS?

upload_2018-5-5_7-50-23.png
    RR AR denarius 3.8g 18.0mm T Didius Rome 113-112 BCE Roma star ROMA mono - Two Gladiators whip sword Sear 171 Craw 294-1

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

But you gotta love this!

How about Nike driving a biga?

Philistis.jpg fulvia denarius.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, Doug.

The second is a type I have high on my want list.

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

One of my favourite Republican action shots (OK, not exactly super-hero action but still...):
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 1.58.53 PM.jpg
    L. Cassius Longinus (63 BCE? 60 BCE?) Obv: Vesta or Chief Vestal; Rev: Voting scene, in the legislative assembly. The ballot is marked with a "V" for "Vti Rogas", or “as you ask”, signifying a positive vote.

More super-heroish:
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 1.58.39 PM.jpg
    Plautius Plancus (47 BCE)

9. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Gauls (or Brits?o_O) doing things:
    L. Hostilius Saserna. 48 BC. AR Fouree Denarius. Rome mint. Obv.: head of gaulish bearded male bust (Vercingetorix?) right; gaulish shield to left. Rev.: two warriors in galloping biga right, one driving and the other holding shield and brandishing spear. Above, L.HOSTILIVS; below, SASERN.
    VerRix.jpg

10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

One of my favorite action coins -
    Feb 7 2016 002.JPG
    Feb 7 2016 004.JPG
    Roman Republic
    M.SERGI.SILVS.Q
    116 BC
    Head of Roma right / Horseman galloping left, holding sword and head of barbarian. The rider is probably the moneyer's grandfather who fought left handed after loosing his right hand in battle.
    Cr - 286/1
    BMCRR - Italy 512
    Sear - 163
    Syd - 534

11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Fantastic coins everyone. I don't have a lot of Republican era coins, only 20 or so, but here are a few action ones:

M. Herennius denarius (108-107 BCE) (1).jpg
    I think carrying one's father on one's shoulder qualifies as action.

Zb7gyTP3dG4wefW5Q9af2wqHE8rzom (1).jpg
    And this Macer has action on both the obverse and reverse.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Both neat coins Doug!

486191_466763656693884_516523879_n.jpg IMG_3708.jpg

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

galba68, David Atherton, TIF and 9 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

I don't get that Republican Rome had no movement. Even without Bigas and Quadrigas, there is a lot of motion in their coinage.

I also really like that they would generally NOT put a living Roman or a recent politician (until into the Imperatorial Period) on their coinage.

RR Movements:

upload_2018-5-6_9-29-5.png
    RR M Volteius Mf AR Denarius 78 BCE 18mm 3.96g Hd Hercules R lion skin headdress - Erymanthian running boar Cr 385-2 ex SteveX6

upload_2018-5-6_9-29-46.png
    RR C POBLICIUS Q f 80 BCE AR Denarius serratus 3.94g Rome Flan wgt control gouge Hercules strangling Nemean lion club quiver Cr 380-1 Syd 768

upload_2018-5-6_9-31-42.png
    RR AR Denarius 3.88g L Pomponius Molo 97 BCE Rome Apollo Numa Pompilius stdng Lituus alter sacrificing goat Cr 334-1 Syd 607

upload_2018-5-6_9-33-6.png
    RR AR Denarius A Licinius Nerva 47 BCE 3.58g Rome Fides One-armed horseman galloping dragging naked warrior by hair Cr 454-1 Syd 954

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I just have to say: if this were any forum other than Ancient Coins, someone would have nominated this title for Troll of the Year... ;)

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I can't let this go without a "[edited]" or an "lol." So I'm going to give it an "lol," because I don't think we can say "[edited]" Lol!

Except you just did say it. Twice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

How do I give myself a "Like" for this? Or at least a "Well Done," it at least deserves that. Times two, now that you mention it. :)

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

And just so this doesn't turn out to be something political:
    M SERGIUS SILUS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
    galba68, Ajax, TIF and 3 others like this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok, I had a feeling that this would turn this way. Obviously the title was tongue in cheek and not political, but now the ancients forum is degrading into the "other" type of forum. You have a good thing going , so go back to it. Jim

20. Alegandron

I don't think the Title was ever intended nor meant to be political. Unfortunately, and once again, folks from the OTHER Threads feel they must impress their expertise, modern opinions, or their "sage" advice WITHOUT considering what threads they were posting.

REPUBLICANS in MOTION:
    RR T Quinctius Flamininus 126 BC AR Den Roma Diosc gallpng T-Q Macedon Shield S 143 Cr 267-1.jpg
    RR T Quinctius Flamininus 126 BC AR Den Roma Dioscuri galloping over vanquished Macedon Shield T-Q Sear 143 Craw 267-1

RR Lucretius Trio 76 BCE AR Den Neptune dolphin boy  S 322 Cr 390-2.jpg
    RR Lucretius Trio 76 BCE AR Den Neptune dolphin boy S 322 Cr 390-2

RR C Mamilius 82 BCE AR Den Serrate Mercury caduceus Ulysses Dog Argos Sear 282 Craw 362-1.jpg
    RR C Mamilius 82 BCE AR Den Serrate Mercury caduceus Ulysses walking his Dog Argos Sear 282 Craw 362-1

RR Titurius Sabinus 89 BCE AR Den Tarpeia buried shields S 251 Cr 344-2a.jpg
    RR Titurius Sabinus 89 BCE AR Den Tarpeia being buried with shields Sear 251 Craw 344-2a

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well, no subforum is exclusive on the site, so the best is to ignore them and if a violation, report them. Yes, I knew what the title was about, but realize that people who can't pass a single thread without perhaps commenting, can't talk about ancients, so they have to do a side remark. If the title was worded differently, the ancient forum devotees would still open, but the modern collectors probably would not have been interested. Jim

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted