Replacing my 2X2 holders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I have coins in 2X2 holders for over 10 years, and I think it is time for me to replace them. I see no PVC issues or anything I just thought it would be a good practice. I am keeping the staples away from the coin when removing the old coin and placing it in the new holder. Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Can you show us pictures of the first 1 or 2 (before and after) before you do the lot?

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

As for keeping staples away from the coins, I find the safest and easiest way to do so is to puncture the mylar windows just between the coin and the hole in the 2x2 with a wooden toothpick. Then you can pinch the coin and windows together and tear the windows enough to easily remove the coin with minimal risk of damage.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Second this. I use exactly the same method to remove coins from 2x2 holders, and I've never damaged a single coin doing it.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

IMO, if you don't see any surface issues, I don't necessarily think changing the 2x2 is required. I have coins in 2x2s from the 70's, and some that were given to me as a kid may be from the early-mid 60's. If it looks like some residual PVC is on the coin, or there are small pinholes in the Mylar (which can lead to uneven toning), then it's good practice.

Nothing wrong with changing them if you want. I reholdered a lot of my German Notgeld coins because I got a new reference book and wanted to remove the hodgepodge of old reference numbers and add the new ones. Now all of them have a standard labeling format. It's just a lot of work.

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is embarrassing how many years I did it the hard way before I read this simple tip here on CT.

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  9. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

Great Tip!

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Islander80-83

In addition, when talking about 2x2's and staples I always (very carefully) crimp the staples.

S20191127_013.jpg
    S20191127_009.jpg
    S20191127_012.jpg
    S20191127_011.jpg

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I use the same method a toothpick and please crimp your staples. I think that’s the most common way coins get damaged

tmeyer likes this.
  12. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

dumb questions regarding replacing 2X2's - I pull the flip up and the staples are away from the coin. Then I slide the coin to the new holder. What is wrong with that? I dont think I have even seen damage - I keep the coin away from the staples.

13. Islander80-83

That does not sound safe to me. When you pull the flip up and open it, it exposes the sharp ends of the staples to the coin. Please do what @ToughCOINS says!

14. Islander80-83

Please don't say you're doing something like this!..

S20200121_008.jpg

15. Islander80-83

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Same here. It takes about 2 seconds to poke the mylar and have the coin safely into a new holder. Don't mess with the staples.

I'm not a big fan of ever changing holders without a good reason. If the coin is happy in the same holder for many years, don't mess with it.
    Good reasons to change holders are things like cardboard dust, PVC or other junk on the coin.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Ok, I will stop my practice and do it right, although I was not doing it per the poor practice illustrations. After several of these I noticed the holders were fine with no indicator of PVC

18. Islander80-83

Make sure you put the beer down first! :hilarious:

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 10.36.47 AM.png

Draft saved Draft deleted