replacing 2x2's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Are we getting into stapler talk? Personally, I use a non-flat staple stapler which I have modified to reduce possibilities of contact (I removed the plastic overhang with a pair of snips:)). Then I very very carefully use a pair of pliers to squeeze the hell out of each staple. I prefer this system over the flat staples because it gives me an extra sense of security. I've notice the flat staples will sometimes stick out slightly. When I flatten the rounded staples with pliers, 95% of the time the pointy end will embed itself into the flip reducing chances of catching on something in the future. The process of squishing with pliers also embeds the staple, as a whole, into the cardboard- not just on the surface.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I use a flat stapler I bought at Staples for 6 doolars which has works great for me. I have never had staple scratch issues; actually from this discussion to appears that the scratched coin because of a dangling staple happens often.

4. Richard Stack

Richard Stack New Member

I only change if there is too much writing or I don't like the looks of them. Flat stapler and pliers to remove old.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm not one for risking anything with the process of removing a staple from an old 2x2, so accepted procedure for me is a small cut at the edge of the mylar to get it started, and I just push the coin out through the mylar. Once cut, it rips with very little pressure. The better the original stapling job, the harder (and more risky) they are to remove.

longshot, Dimedude2 and -jeffB like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I do exactly as mynameispat does for exactly the same reasons. Buy a cheap pair of pliers at harbor freight and keep it separate from your other tools so you don't get grease or dirt on the 2x2's
    This is another great tip I've used successfully for years.

Incorporate both of these tips into your storage process and you'll eliminate almost all chance of the staples scratching your coins.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've never heard of anyone recommending periodic replacement of their 2X2's.

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I have some base metal coins that have been stored that way for 2+ decades and show no negative effects from it.

STU and TheHoff like this.
  9. Oldhoopster

I don't like the tape method. I feel that it doesn't seal the 2x2 tight enough and can allow the coin to move around. It's hard to enjoy looking at the coin when part of it's hidden behind the cardboard.

10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I have never heard about anyone scratching a coin because of an abrasion with a staple

STU likes this.
  11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I've never experienced that problem.

STU likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Staple scratches are extremely common and can happen in several different ways.

13. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Is it the contact of the staple to the coin that will scratch the coin?? I am usually very careful on where to stable and ensure that the staple does not contact the coin when I remove it out of the holder.

14. Oldhoopster

Storage and coin removal are the problem areas. If the staples aren't pressed flush against the cardboard, they can come in contact with another coin in in a 2x2 storage box. Most of us have had to deal with boxes that are filled tight, and sliding a coin out that has protruding metal is not a good thing if it contacts the mylar window of the adjacent coin. The other area is removing coins from a 2x2's. If you're very careful you will minimize the risk, but most long time collectors can tell you horror stories.

Always take the time to press the back of the staples flush with a clean pair of pliers (you can also by the "flush" stapler, but I still think the leave some of the staple sticking out. I prefer to remove coins from stapled 2x2's by cutting the mylar. Still a small risk but better IMO than trying to avoid the staples.

cpm9ball likes this.
  15. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

I just started using pliers to smash down the Staples.
    After I get back from the library is plan to make some changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As Oldhoopster said, with staple scratches it is usually the staple in one 2x2 scratching the coin in another 2x2 as you either put 2x2s into or take them out of the box they are in.

Of course scratches can also occur when you try to remove a coin from 2x2 it is already in, when you try to flatten down the staples in a 2x2, or even when a 2x2 is handled and it happens to come into contact with something else.

You see, the clear mylar is very thin, and a coin can be scratched right through that mylar, without even tearing the mylar itself. Coins can also acquire contact marks right through the mylar. This is because the mylar offers no protection to the coin. About the only thing the mylar does do is to keep dust off the coin.

And if the mylar itself does somehow happen to get torn, then the mylar itself can and will scratch the coin because mylar is very hard and has very sharp edges.

Bottom line, cardboard 2x2s are one of the worst options there is for storing coins, and for all kinds of different reasons - not just scratches. But people like them because they are cheap and convenient. And most are not even aware of the dangers that 2x2s present to coins.

What are those other dangers ? The cardboard causes toning, often ugly toning. Then there is cardboard dust which can hairline and or scratch the coin. Small cardboard particles that can hairline, scratch, or cause spots on the coin. And even if you try to make sure that there is not dust or particles inside when you put a coin in a 2x2, more dust and more particles will form inside the 2x2 with the coin just from ordinary handling and movement.

cpm9ball likes this.
  17. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Bottom line, cardboard 2x2s are one of the worst options there is for storing coins, and for all kinds of different reasons - not just scratches. But people like them because they are cheap and convenient. And most are not even aware of the dangers that 2x2s present to coins.

What do you use for storage of your coins?

18. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

Wow.I never read so many remedies for storing coins
    in flips.Why not just use ...common sense.

STU likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Either you have led a very sheltered "coin-collecting" life or you haven't been collecting coins long enough.

Chris

20. STU

STU Active Member

i have 1000s of 2x2 coin holders for 50 plus years i do take them out of the storage boes now and then but i have never had to use pliers or anything else never had a staple scratch i have had to replace a few as i broke them open to put in differern holders as they were messed up from my writing i dont have any that toned badly or destroyed because of the 2x2 holder or staples i did at first have a bad stapler that the staples were sharp and only got me so i got a better stapler and never have had any problem since i staple hundreds of them thru out the winter and throw them in a plastic contaner and sort them when i have time and have never damaged any of them but i bet most have bad storage as to some of the bad things that have happened with there coins as i have seen this with other collectors that i have talked to i tell them how i store mine i do put the silcon packs in with them

21. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Chris - maybe I am a little careful when I place these in 2 by 2's. I also do not use these for coins of higher value.

stu - please take advantage of using periods as I had difficulty reading your response.

Draft saved Draft deleted