replacing 2x2's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

i have free time this week to remat coins that are stored in cardboard 2x2 flips. I bought a bunch of These flips recently and I place these in those polypropylene pages. My practice is for each coin I write the month and date when it was matted. These are also stored in a dry environment and I throw silica gel packets in a container.

do you have have thoughts on when should I periodically remat these coins in fresh flips?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's not like painting your house every 5 years or so. Why waste a perfectly good 2x2? Why put a "shelf date" on it? I wouldn't bother replacing it unless rust on the staples appeared. Besides, every time you remove the 2x2 from the page, you're stretching the compartment of the plastic page which allows the 2x2 to slip out. Then, you'd need to replace the plastic pages. It's a lose/lose situation.

Chris

STU and Paul M. like this.
  4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Interesting viewpoint. If they have been stored for 10 plus years, should they be replaced?

5. cpm9ball

Why? I've got some coins that have been in 2x2's for 20+ years. As long as they are kept in a stable environment, there is no need to replace them.

Chris

STU, Kentucky and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Have they changed at all? If not leave them as is

Stevearino likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is another point to consider. It is well known that cardboard 2x2s have their downsides. The possibility of staple scratches, poor protection due to the thinness of the mylar, cardboard dust, and the toning effects of the cardboard on the coins due to out-gassing as the cardboard decays.

It is this last one to which I refer. Cardboard decays at a set rate just like everything else. But as time passes on the amount of gas released decreases, the older the cardboard the less gas. So, by replacing the 2x2s you start the process all over again exposing the coins to newer cardboard that is putting of even more gas. And even if you follow the other steps for proper storage, what I mention cannot be negated. So it is not only possible, it is likely that you would be doing more harm by replacing the 2x2s than you would if you just left them alone.

8. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Ok, here is my strategy - if the flip is old and looks crappy in some way or fashion, I will replace it. I will not make this a huge project.

9. Chuck S

Chuck S New Member

stapler.jpg stapler.jpg stapler.jpg I found a stapler that allows you to almost eliminate staple scratches when stapling into cardboard 2x2"s. The actual stapling operation happens very close to the front end of the stapler and you can clearly see where you are stapling. Amazon has it. Search for Vaimo. Staple remover on the bottom.

10. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I have coins in 2 X 2 since early 60's with no issues. Why spend more money on 2 X 2 when as mentioned above, unless rust on staples or a tear in the Mylar.

Dave Waterstraat and STU like this.
  11. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Good points - i actually have that type of stapler and it works great.

My question is - why do folks get paranoid of using 2x2's and why do some folks mention that you Should replace them periodically?

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Easy question to answer, they dont want there money to go down the drain !
    but keeping them in a good quality containment system is always a good idea
    regardless plus gives you a little piece of mind to boot :)

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You keep your 2x2's with horses? o_O
    Horse_Stables.jpg

14. cpm9ball

I have news for you! The majority of staple scratches do not occur when you are using the stapler. They occur afterward when the staple rubs against another coin.
    That is why a flat-cinch stapler is best because the points are pushed down flat rather than curved like you will find with a standard stapler.

Since you mentioned the built-in staple remover that is on the Vaimo stapler, I can only caution you to be very careful if you use it to remove staples from a 2x2. One slip, and you can damage the coin. You'd be better off if you just used scissors to cut away the old 2x2.

Chris

coinsareus10 and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. cpm9ball

Because they don't know any better!

Chris

16. cpm9ball

Hey! Hey! Hey! You on the end! Pay attention! I'm not conducting this class for the fun of it. I had to cancel my sushi date with Judge Judy.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

You said flips, so I am assuming you are not replacing the coins with 2x2s. I only trust SAFLIP flips. I've had bright copper coins in SAFLIPs for 30 years, and have seen no change. Other flips have given me problems. The paper you use in the flips can leach chemicals that will tone the coin toward the entrance to the flip (top of the coin). So I recommend using SAFLIP paper or sealing the flip sleeve where the paper is located.

18. TheHoff

TheHoff Member

Is it a no-no to use tape on the three sides instead of staples, they come out of the poly sleeves a lot easier?

19. STU

STU Active Member

i also have 2x2 holders from the 60s i have not found any problem with them looked at them in 2008 when i retired and they were as good as the day i did them up keep in a safe enviroment thats the key at least for mine and i have 1000s of them

20. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

as long as your flips were not made in the 60s when acid paper and pvc were just words on a page...
    But then again, I personally would take them out and reflip. I like having contact with my stuff every now and then.
    I'll rearrange my paper money binder every couple months so I can hold the bills in my hand, check out the water mark, and contribute to the slow and steady decay of the paper via hand oils :)
    But that's part of my collecting experience is being hands-on.

21. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Thank you very much for your feedback

Draft saved Draft deleted