Replace dollar with silver dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgan dollar, May 27, 2017.

1. Morgan dollar

Morgan dollar New Member

To be honest i really dont want the tokens aka dollar coins replaced i really want the silver dollars the morgan dollars the ones that are big replaced instead becuase they do not look like tokens or quarters if they cant do that bring back the eisenhower i think if they replaced dollars bills with those coins just mint only couple million morgan dollars a year i think it could work

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Too big. That's precisely why the ikes didn't catch on. As well as being a base metal plus they didn't kill the note. Seated, Morgans, peace etc were silver and the size was needed due to weight standards so people accepted them plus back then pockets really weren't commonplace until well into the Morgan run. People kept them in pouches. Nobody today will accept a large dollar coin period. Small ones can catch on but it will require the $1 note to be killed.

-jeffB, Kentucky and baseball21 like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not to mention he is asking for coins whose metal value far exceeds face value.

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah I wasn't clear on whether he wanted actual silver or not so I dismissed that on both counts

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I want to see you repeat that without inhaling.

Chris

PS. Welcome to the neighborhood!

ColonialCoin4, green18 and eddiespin like this.
  7. baseball21

True you can read it both ways. Imagine how hard that would be striking clad Morgans or Peace

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Clad Morgans or Peace? Puhleeeze...:vomit:

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Morgan dollar

Morgan dollar New Member

I said eisenhower dollars not clad morgan or peace dollars

10. Morgan dollar

Morgan dollar New Member

Clad morgan dollars would just look wierd

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

they would look like this
    PD 1922 2-horz.jpg

But not like this
    1917 HR Peace $ A-horz.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like the current size of the small dollars OK but the British pound coins, despite being of a smaller diameter, have a nicer feel in hand because they're thicker and chunkier.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Face it, the future is " digital plastic ". Maybe sad , but true unless someone breaks bitcoin's scheme badly and threatening so it can be cracked significantly, the banks are tired of physical money.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

With digital plastic, banks would be laying off 95% of their workers.
    All deposits would be electronic. There's no need for withdrawals or ATMs as there is no cash. So no need for tellers, ATM cards/ machines.
    You would need a few "officers" to handle customers/business. And a couple tellers
    to input and check data.

eddiespin likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Cash is an inconvenience.

Coins are even more inconvenient.

The future of money is electronic - as are most transactions today.

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think y'all are right. The future of physical money is in doubt and the 21st century may see the end of it. Maybe not in my lifetime, but in my children's.

I already am to the point where I might use cash once or twice a month, and coins not at all. I simply let my change accumulate until the jar is full and I then I take it to the CoinStar. I seldom use vending machines and those take paper dollars or even plastic now.

As a numismatist, the impending doom of coins as a medium of exchange used to make me sad, until I realized it has no bearing on my collecting at all. After all, I'm not spending tetradrachms or denarii on my hobby (though I'm occasionally buying them).

Money comes and money goes, and the idea of what constitutes money has evolved over 2,700 years and will continue to change.

If the Lincoln cents and Washington quarters and Euro coins and Canadian Loonies all become obsolete, so what? That will just make 'em more collectible.

Plastic as money? Bring it on. I don't care what the stuff I spend looks like. The stuff I collect will just become increasingly old-fashioned. :)

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Weird!

Weird that folks actually believe that coins are something other than what they are.

Tokens.

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Even weirder what they believe about a little slip of paper with numbers printed on it....

19. baseball21

Physical money won't actually end, there are still plenty of purchases people make with cash they they don't want on their credit cards. As long as there are people hiding spending from their spouses there will be cash. That said electronic money is going to take a bigger percentage of transactions which the internet has played a significant role.

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I always spend coins. The coin acceptor at the supermarket is the greatest invention since the light bulb.
    What am I supposed to do? Put it in the Coin Star and let them keep 11% of my money?

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There is this wonderful thing called punctuation. You should try it sometime.

If you had used punctuation, your point would have been a little clearer. What you wrote sounded like my seven-year-old sister trying to tell a story while she was on a sugar high.

eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted