Featured Renewal of restrictions on coins from Italy - CPAC Meeting

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Triones, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Sounds like you’re getting political. I’m bringing up academic hypocrisy.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

The Egyptians and Greeks had slaves—does that mean we can openly loot Egyptian and Greek treasures? Or just coins of folks who did bad things—that property shouldn’t be protected but other property should.

Bing likes this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Sure.

Restitutor likes this.
  5. Nicholas Molinari

If you don’t like what I’m saying, report it and let the moderators decide.

6. Nathan B.

Nathan B. Well-Known Member

I think Donna was just signaling her unwillingness to continue in a political discussion that had the potential to degenerate into unnecessary conflict. I doubt very much she would be reporting you or anyone else to moderation.

Donna is classy and smart, and a rare woman collector who is passionate about ancient coins. Just picture Smurfette, but a little older and with a much greater knowledge base. :)

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

In that case, I would find it apropriate that Donna deleted the post where she quotes me and makes a political argument against an opinion that I haven’t expressed, while critisizing me for making a political argument. I think that would be fair.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  8. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Just curious, did you guys use your actual names when submitting comments? I'm getting ready to submit mine.

9. Nicholas Molinari

Yes, absolutely.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I believe you are supposed to submit your name, otherwise, how can you stand up and state your cause?

11. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Done. I have them my name and contact info.

12. DonnaML

Done. Now let's see how many of his comments @Nicholas Molinari deletes.

And no, I haven't reported him. I only remember reporting one post during my time here, an openly racist "joke" about Africans and cannibalism.

svessien likes this.
  13. Nicholas Molinari

I’m not deleting anything. I think my comment was perfectly appropriate and the point is a good one. These “scholars” are encouraging destructive mobs (that have now reached far beyond Confederate statues) all while they claim to be against the destruction of State property. I don’t see how that is political (in the traditional sense) or inappropriate.

red_spork and Bing like this.
  14. DonnaML

You cited two scholars, I believe. Aren't you exaggerating a bit? And of course your use of scare quotes and words like "mobs" and "Marxists" and "un-American" is political.

ycon and Restitutor like this.
  15. Nicholas Molinari

Yes, two scholars with that one issue in particular.

Marxism is a huge problem in this specific case, concerning archaeology. That is, Marxism as a methodological postulate (historical materialism), not really Communism. I thought that was clear when I originally wrote.

I am an American tax payer commenting on American legal issue pertaining to coins, and want the committee to represent American interests. It isn’t like I’m talking about an election.

I think “mobs” is perfectly accurate.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    red_spork and Bing like this.
  16. DonnaML

There's no point continuing this discussion, for obvious reasons.

ycon, Restitutor and Nathan B. like this.
  17. Nicholas Molinari

Sure :)

Nathan B. likes this.
  18. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

"It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself."

Colossus Neronis found its' demise in its' own time as well.

As more information comes to light, it is often necessary to revise historical accounts. As it turns out, explorers like Columbus weren't really the best human beings. In fact, a strong case could be made that Columbus was a terrible human being.

It is now well accepted that he wasn't even the first European to discover the Americas. Evidence shows that distinction is due Eric "The Red" Erikkson (and/or his Viking brethren) some five centuries earlier than the sailor from Genoa.

The reality is that a lot of the so-called "great men of history" were also deeply flawed individuals. Yet, it is usually the winners that write the history books.

fomovore and Bayern like this.
  19. DonnaML

I always heard it was Eric's son Leif!

20. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Yes, correct.

That was why I mentioned "and/or brethren", as I was thinking of the title "The saga of Erik the Red" when making the reference.

DonnaML likes this.
  21. DonnaML

I had no idea who that is -- beyond some kind of cartoon character -- and had to look her up in Wikipedia to figure out what you meant. I think I get it now, although when I first opened the article and saw the picture, I was horrified!

Nathan B. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted