Removing solder from coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rdwarrior, Dec 5, 2009.

1. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

Has anybody ever found a good method of removing old solder from silver coins? Currently I am looking at an 1841 10 Krajczar Hungary) that I got as a part of a lot off of ebay, I really wasn't interested in this coin in particular but after receiving the coins this one is really in decent shape except for some solder on the obverse blotting out some of the legend. I realize it will always be a damaged coin, but I am not looking at selling it, just improving its appearence for my own collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I haven't found a reliable method as of yet. Solder is like a cancer when it gets into a coin. I have tried different acids for gold coins with solder on them... sometimes you can dissolve the solder but it leaves a hole in the coin, or a black pock....

4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well you have to determine if its lead or silver solder. If its lead you are lucky, it melts at around 500 degrees F...While silver melts at around 1,100 F. So heating the coin to around 560F should cause the lead solder to slide off, without damaging the silver. If silver turns color because of heat, ionize the coin to restore. If its silver solder, well you will have to try something else. Traci

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You have grossly oversimplified solder. Lead solder is not pure lead nor is silver solder pure silver. Both are alloys and have entirely different melting points than the pure metals. Most lead solders melt around 360º F and the silver solders typically melt about 430º F. However, I found one silver solder that melts as low as 280º F. Besides all that, there are numerous solders that contain neither lead nor silver.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The only way I know to remove solder is to heat it and use air. They actually make a solder sucker. Yes, it sucks solder from things. However, I have never tried it on anything that cannot be overheated.

As for acids, etc., solders are selected because they are not particularly susceptible to such things. Anything that would chemically remove the solder would seriously damage the coin.

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

AHHH, you beat me to that one. I wanted to say all that since I've worked with numerous varieties of Solder. However, you did forget to explain all the different fluxes used in the Soldering processes that do create different adhesive capabilities.
    Meanwhile back to the original question. That is really a tuff one to try to figure out what to do. If the Solder used was of a really low melting point, as explained by rlm's cents, there is a faint possibility that some or most could be removed by simply heating the coin. In almost any such situation though, it will usually flow all over the coin creating a worse situation.
    If you really want to try something, try looking up a jewler that makes jewlery. They usually have extreamely delicate torches with pin point type flames and could possibly get some or most of that off. However, I suggest if you do this you first ask HOW MUCH. Since the cost may exceed the value of the coin.
    In reality though, if I were you I'd just be happy with that coin the way it is.

8. davemac

davemac dave

not trying to steal the op thread but will this work on gold
    that has solder on it
    dave

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not too sure which dis you are talking about. Solder melts at a fixed temperature only depending on which alloys are used. After that, anything you do is mechanical.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That surprised me because it doesn't fit with what I remembered about silver solder so I've been doing some checking and all the silver solders I can find have melting points in the 1100 to 1200 degree range.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The percentage of silver makes a difference. 5% silver is about 400 F.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure why but when using silver allow sticks on HVAC tubing it goes up to about 1200 F. No sure way to know what was used on the OP coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted