Removing smoke smells on coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I am looking for advice on removing strong smells from coins.

I’ve recently received a package of coins that spent a number of years in a smoker’s home. Beyond the smell, I’m worried about potential damage to the coins.

The bulk of the coins are wheat cents, while I have a handful or two of 1939-1953 nickels. There is a small number of wheat cents that I intend to keep, and the rest I will likely sell. I don’t want to ruin them trying to fix them.

I am considering just soaking them in water in hopes whatever is on the coins comes off. I would soak them in acetone, but worry about the cents getting a pinkish tone.

What suggestions or experiences do you have with the coins from a smoker’s home?

@GDJMSP @desertgem @7Jags @Insider I am tagging you because I believe you folks have the most experience/expertise cleaning coins.

55F17C8E-B936-486C-8A1C-09009C9CD14B.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would just pour them out on a bath towel and let them air out for a few days.
    Acetone would be a waist of time and money but it won't harm the coins.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

PCGS/NGC 'sniffer'............ devil.gif

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Try entombing them in Acrylic :hilarious:

eddiespin, Kurisu, Clawcoins and 4 others like this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

My reading/understanding of nicotine tar suggests that airing them out will not resolve the issue, as the particles will remain on the coins. These sat in a smoking environment for years, not days…

I do happen to have a bunch of extra acrylic :hilarious:

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Soak in water. Acetone is overkill IMO. Also, it won't react with the surfaces and turn them pink

Evan Saltis and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It won’t hurt anything to try soaking them in water or water with liquid dish detergent, like Dawn first. You may have to change the water a few times but if that doesn’t work there are alternatives.

Oldhoopster and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I purchased a walking half set a while back that had belonged to a smoker. It was rather pungent when I opened the package. A few days opened up in the fresh air and the aroma was gone…… On the other hand, I have a guitar that I played for nine years on the nightclub circuit back in the 1980’s when the nightclubs were thick with smoke. To this day I can open that old case and still smell the nightclubs.

10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's likely the container (bag/can/guitar case) that is the most tainted. Water bath, dry in open air, and put them into a new container.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Water+copper is a recipe for disaster. But acetone won’t alter the color or anything.

Jaelus and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with the above. However, my suggestion besides ditching the bag(s) they came in is to soak for about an hour in regular rubbing alcohol and then spread them out to dry if you live in a dry climate.

Muzyck and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

With that pile of coins, you have the luxury of picking out a few common dates and experimenting!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would not hesitate using fresh acetone from the can. It's main worry is ignition if done in an enclosed room/garage as it is extremely flammable ( pilot lights beware).We all have acetone in our systems ( The human body naturally produces small amounts of acetone during the breakdown of fat and it may be present in the diet as it occurs naturally in several fruits and vegetables)
    so there should be no problem as long as no open flame. IMO Jim

Kasia, Oldhoopster and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, but rubbing alcohol is cheaper and would get rid of most of the grunge and funk. I would tamp dry with a high nap white towel if OP is interested.

serafino likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on that?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Water/moisture are bad for coins and can eat away at metals like copper and silver. It’s why you see so many green, corroded coins out there… they came into contact with moisture. Acetone, however, does not harm copper or silver, and in fact, evaporates quickly off the coin, while also removing dirt and basically neutralizing the surfaces.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

no

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree. Water will also leave deposits of other stuff on coins. Those deposits can grow into spots in the future. I would skip the water and go straight to acetone. If a person just has to use water, they should follow with acetone.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Acetone won't hurt the coins, but it will remove the smoke and nicotine a lot more effectively than just water.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The smell will go away all by itself in just a few days.

Being a lifelong smoker, more than a little bit. With proper storage, part of which entails keeping all coins in sealed containers, the smoke has no effect for all practical purposes. And because of that I never had to worry about about trying to remove cigarette smoke deposits from coins. Thus I have no experience at all with trying to do that. But a mountain of experience with removing it from anything else.

But without proper storage, everything changes and pretty much everything gets deposits on it. Removing those deposits, water by itself has little to no effect, even with scrubbing/wiping. And a lot of household cleaners have little effect as well, even with scrubbing/wiping. But there are some that work quite well when coupled with scrubbing/wiping. Which of course is something that we never want to do with coins at all. So while I could tell you how to easily get any deposits off coins or anything else, the method would be a big no-no !

I also suspect that acetone will have little effect as well since acetone only removes a few things anyway. And while I have no concerns about using acetone on other coins, with using it on copper I do as it can sometimes, stress sometimes, cause the copper to turn weird colors.

Xylene on the other hand, while I've never experimented with it to get smoke deposits off coins, simply because it was a nonexistent problem for me, it is perfectly safe to use on copper and all other coins, and it might, stress might because it's only a guess, quickly dissolve and rinse away smoke deposits from coins with just a little swishing action. But, it's worth a shot because it safely removes a lot of things that acetone won't.

Cheech9712 and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted