Removing PVC damage from some coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlov43, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I need to fill a few holes in my contemporary Japanese coin collection (1948 to 1980-dated coins). Not being able to find the years I'm looking for, I thought of breaking the coins out of some common mint sets. I did find someone selling mint sets for four of these years: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979.

The Japan Mint, for whatever reason, decided to encase its yearly mint sets they made in the 1970s and early 1980s in lovely, supple, old-school shower-curtain material. So, the problem was, the mint sets that I had found online had PVC damage in the form of brilliant green verdigris (if that's what it's called?) on the coins inside. The online store clearly showed the level of damage that they had, and clearly noted "PVC Damage" in the item description.

I remember reading about Verdi-Care here at CT. Combined, the four mint sets cost 12 bucks. If I ruined the coins trying to "conserve" (or is it "restore...?") them with this treatment, or if I read the directions wrong and messed it up, I figured it wouldn't be much of a loss. I'd also gain some knowledge just by trying it out.

Here's what they looked like:
    DSC01788.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

DSC01790.JPG

As you can see, I found not only this dark green junk, but also what looked like both greeen, and clear, "moisture" on the inside of the PVC pages. When I cut open these sealed PVC pockets, I soon found out that it wasn't water, but a sticky substance that I can only guess was the result of PVC breakdown, maybe because of exposure to heat(?) or the reaction with the metals of the coins.

5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

DSC01792.JPG

I followed the directions for soaking the coins in Verdi-Care. I gave it about 3 hours.

Per instructions, I used a toothpick to jab at the green stuff. It came off quite easily.

BadThad likes this.
  7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

DSC01793.JPG

These 100 Yen coins looked like they were PAINTED with green gunk.

After the treatment, they looked quite good, but decades of PVC damage did leave what looks like "breaks in toning" or "abrasions" on the high points of some of the coins.

BadThad likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

DSC01795.JPG

The worst off were the brass 5 Yen coins (with holes, above). They had the most extensive damage, and the most encrustation of the green stuff. Even though they look rough, I was surprised that they came out THIS good!

The aluminum 1 Yen coins seem not to have been damaged at all...

BadThad likes this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

DSC01796.JPG

Each yearly mint set comes with a little medallion, denoting the Gregorian calendar year on one side, and the symbol for the Chinese zodiac animal for that year.

With these medallions, I soaked a micro-fiber cloth in Verdi-care and rubbed the green junk off. These were brass, and had the worst damage on them, but the result was surprisingly good considering the extent of green gunk on them. The high points on these were also pretty ruined by the PVC.

The total result was that I was satisfied with the condition of most of the coins, and it seems that if you follow the directions, it seems to work quite well. I was ready to throw them all in the trash, but now I'm able to put them in that album. Success!

BadThad and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Heres the only yen I own, its a 10 yen from 1953 A024 - 20130416_112001 (3)-horz.jpg

mlov43 likes this.
  11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

good job! your coins turned out looking great!

mlov43 likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

you better wait 30 days to let the chemical wear off

mlov43 likes this.
  13. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

that's a great improvement. nice to see a product that really works. it's on my list just in case.

mlov43 likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is something you need to understand. Verdigris and PVC residue are two entirely different things and are caused by completely different things. Both are corrosive.

Acetone is what should be used to remove PVC residue.

Verdi-Care is what should be used to remove verdigris.

Now although it appears that the Verdi-Care helped to remove the PVC residue, never having tried it myself for that purpose, and never having talked to the guy who makes it about using for that purpose (he's a member here - BadThad), I don't know if it removed ALL of the PVC residue. It's quite possible there may still be some left on the coins and it may continue to damage them.

Just something you might want to think about.

TIF and mlov43 like this.
  15. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Exactly. I failed to mention that I gave the coins both a distilled water rinse, and an acetone rinse prior to applying the Verdi Care. It says that in the directions that I read, so that's what I did. I actually didn't know that PVC residue should be removed with acetone, but now I do!

Thanks.

BadThad likes this.
  16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Right. The directions pretty much said so, too. They just tell you to keep them out for "24 hours or longer". I'll keep them out for a while

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  17. Rick Stachowski

you don't want your labor to be for nothing

mlov43 likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Bad Thad can correct me, but one of the possibilities of PVC contamination is that the copper can react with the chloride in the PVC to give copper chlorides which can be one face of verdigris. Glad the VerdiCare worked so well for you. I notice the bottle says VerdiChem. What is different?

BadThad likes this.
  19. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i have the same bottle an on the back it says "verdi-care with react2", verdi-chem might be company name?

20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Dunno.

Perhaps an executive company decision to change the name to give it more "cache`"?

I think "Verdi Care" might be a better name for people. "Verdi Chem" might scare people. Cause we don't believe in "better living through chemistry" anymore, I guess.

Remember how "ChemLawn" changed their name to "TrueGreen"? That company didn't want people to think that the Salvadoran immigrants who come to treat your lawn are spraying unhealthy, environmentally-unfriendly "chemicals" (which is exactly what they do), so they changed the name of the company. Now with the name change, they're all "earth-friendly", don't you know!

BadThad and ken454 like this.
  21. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm pretty sure Verdi Chem is a newer product Thad made that improved on Verdicare . With Verdichem you can leave a couple micron layer to protect the coin , or rinse it off in distilled water if you don't want to leave a residue . BadThad can correct me if I'm wrong .

Draft saved Draft deleted