Removing corrosion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tulipone, Oct 13, 2015.

1. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I know that the general advice is don't clean. I have a number of copper coins that are fairly nice condition but some do some corrosion like this - a sacrificial farthing - that is prepared to meet its maker if it looks awful after. I have several dozen to practice with but grateful for tried and trusted methods to remove.

Any thought?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If your goal is to learn how to remove corrosion like that so that the coin looks nice, you're going to be disappointed. The corrosion on the coin shown is so heavy that if you are successful in removing it, either chemically or mechanically, all you'll leave behind are craters where the original surfaces used to be, and then they'll continue corroding. Some say that olive oil soaks are best, but life's too short to leave a coin soaking for years only to have something that's still not attractive. Cut bait on the coin, and use the olive oil to sauté some garlic and anchovies to put on some pasta. You'll enjoy both outcomes better.

BadThad likes this.
  4. Lisa1980

Lisa1980 Member

Verdigris is the worst. It is never a good situation.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Check out VerdiCare. A forum member @BadThad makes the stuff. If you have issues with shipping, send me a PM.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

As I've written numerous times in the past few years, smear the coin heavily with ordinary Vaseline and set it aside for a week, on the theory it won't hurt the coin and "might" do it some good. Green corrosion comes from a number of sources, and your particular coin might respond to Vaseline.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

How do you get rid of the Vaseline? Acetone?

Lisa1980 likes this.
  8. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I'll give the Vaseline a go and report back. These coins have no value and it was more about interest than recovering a cherished coin. I have lots of similar!

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Acetone doesn't work on oils very well, use xylene to remove oils and oil based products.

But to my knowledge, vaseline won't do anything to help anyway. The only reason that olive oil works is because it is acidic. And a very mild acid at that, which is why it takes so long.

As for Verdi-Care, it will help, but even Thad (the inventor and maker) will tell you that it won't do much for coins with extensive verdigris. Repeated treatments may get it off, but as already mentioned all that will do is reveal the damage already done. Which is just as bad as leaving it as is.

So there are 2 choices, use Verdi-Care and remove the verdigris (or most of it), or leave the coin alone. With either choice proper storage afterwards is the key. This is because with proper storage the vedigris that is on the coin will not continue to damage the coin because verdigris requires moisture for its action to continue. And even if removed proper storage is required to prevent verdigris from coming back.

BadThad likes this.
  10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Verdigris salts (regardless of the type) are INSOLUBLE in organic media. Using Vaseline would be an exercise in futility. Not sure how you came up with your basis for using Vaseline, first I've heard that one, but I 100% disagree with ever using it on a coin for any reason.

11. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Actually, my Grandpa gave me a Russian Coin with the similar problem. I thought it was my imagination when i thought it was getting bigger. Maybe it still is? I'd love to know how to get rid of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted