Removing Caked Dirt and Verdigris

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by britannia40, Jul 6, 2015.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I know this is a taboo topic to some, but for those who are interested. I have found a great way to remove the aforementioned using olive oil and very soft toothpicks. It will not keep the coin from being graded by TPG's unless you are too rough and scratch the coins which will result in the coin having a lower grade or being body bagged.

Below are some coins I purchased with caked dirt and verdigris. once I receive them I will add after pictures and then graded pictures. I have had 6 coins ive don't this method with that graded fine.

1862p.jpg 1862p1.jpg 1886p.jpg 1886p1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. britannia40

Here is a 1799 1/2D as I received it. It was a little more advanced and I had to use a metal pick gentle to get the dark blue/green pieces off in some spots. It was a learner for me as I caused a small scratch by one of the letters which im sure affected the grade.

U can really see the spots above the B and left of it in Britannia. inside the top of the R and the bottom tip of the 1st 9 in 1799. also along the rim.
    Corrosion.jpg corr1.jpg corr2.jpg

Here it is graded returned last week.
    1799z62.jpg 1799z62a.jpg

Keep in mind this one was more serious and a lot like the ones In the first post don't need metal picks or other drastic measures. Just patience and slow work.

I soak in olive oil 1-2 days, then use a lighted magnifier with the toothpick and to to work.

4. britannia40

Heres one that had a lot of build up that I finished
    1882j.jpg 1882j1.jpg

the dark areas are just coloring and nothing on the surface. this one had a lot of buld up inside the and around the letters especially the BRITT REG area.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I've used soft toothpicks on gold coins to get old dirt and grime out of devices, and they too graded. Just have to be very careful.

6. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

1900s_14.JPG 1900sR_14.JPG I would not use toothpicks on coins. I have heard of people using them so I used one on the coin above to get rid of gunk and it caused scratches. According to the directions on Verdi-care you can pour some on an old t-shirt and rotated the coin on the saturated spot. Using a q-tip lightly might work. Depends on the amount of verdigris, if there is a lot there is most likely damage underneath and may not be worth bothering with.

7. britannia40

I have found some to have pitting underneath it depends on the coin. I only use on copper not clad or silver

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I would not rotate a coin on fabric. And a toothpick is ok to pick at dirt lightly, but not to scrub a coin as it appears you did.

9. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Do you just wipe the olive oil off afterwards, or soapy water rinse? I have a couple of lower graded types (disposable) which I would like to 'trial and error' on first. Thanks!

10. britannia40

I use a soft napkin and dab it dry. had no problems. when you use the toothpick you have to be really patient and soft. get the cheap flimsy ones they will bend or break before scratching the coin and are good about getting inside the letters and numbers like G or 8

11. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Excellent, thank you. I will give it a go and let you know the results. There goes the olive oil for the homemade pesto later on. Sure I've got a jar of it somewhere...

12. britannia40

Here's one i just got in the Mail. before n after pictures used olive oil and soft toothpick. Mist the issues were around the letters.

20150708_162719.jpg 20150708_162735.jpg 20150708_171632.jpg 20150708_171620.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted