Removing Black Spots On Silver

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chris Winkler, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

I have a few .999 bars i have had for 20 years & they are getting black spots. I tried MS70 and it kind of removed some of the surface stains, but not the deeper spots.

So i am trying a contest with vinegar, bleach, and honey, which someone said here last year.

The honey is soaking, vinegar did not do much, though the bleach got rid of them immediatly, though i put on a little too much and it stained wherever it went.

knowing is bullion and not worth more than spot, any suggestions on if its worth trying to do anything about this? Thanks in advance to all who chime in!

On a side note, is that area below the description suppose to be for a serial # or is it pointless on a 10oz bar?

tempImagenmFmrP.png

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Because it is bullion, and you don't care about it showing a light cleaning, I would try a dip in this.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

serafino and Chris Winkler like this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I would leave them alone, if the pic is as bad as it gets, I would leave them alone! :cigar:

Tusky Ranger and Chris Winkler like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Household Ammonia on a Qtip, plenty of ventilation.
    I've used this method for decades even on silver artifacts that besides coins can be polished.

serafino likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Since it really doesnt make a difference I'd just leave it alone

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I agree just leave it alone it's about the silver not the looks.

Chris Winkler likes this.
  8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

exactly Bullion as said no need to clean... but If you do want it shiny, any regular silver polish could be used as you're not worried about a "Cleaned"/"Details" grade :D

9. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I like Bighto. makes old bodies new.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Who in the world would suggest using bleach on silver?

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Anybody know what that empty bar is for?

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

eddiespin and Chris Winkler like this.
  13. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I agree...its silver; tarnished or shiny...its worth the same I would imagine. I've never attempted to clean anything - glad I discovered CT when I did or I just may have tried to!

14. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

I figured it would give it a try. Nothing else worked on the black spots, and they dissapeard right before my eyes. I then spread it around not knowing how it would react, since it was not stained before i did. I might try a pin drop if i ever do it again, with a quick rinse. I use bleach to clean a lot of things, greasy stove top rings, our juicer, etc.

15. -jeffB

Bleach is great for breaking up organic stuff -- it's alkaline, which breaks down fats and proteins, and it's an oxidizer, which kills things and destroys some coloring agents.

But it's also got lots of chloride (like from salt, as opposed to chlorine), and chloride is very bad for metals in general.

Black spots on silver are usually silver sulfide. Bleach will destroy that, because it'll oxidize the sulfide to something colorless. But be really careful about thoroughly rinsing the bar when you're done, finishing with a rinse or two of DISTILLED water. Lots of other things will remove those spots as well; I'd recommend one of the dips mentioned above.

16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It's silver seal it, case it, and leave it alone.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you want it gone there is.

I agree 100% !

And don't ever use bleach on coins - or any other numismatic items !

Tusky Ranger likes this.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm curious why you say that. I know it will turn zinc coins dull gray, but what other problems does it create.
    I go through large batches of really dirty world coins and I wash them with a touch of Dawn and a few drops of bleach. Never know where those buggers have been. LOL

19. -jeffB

See above. Bleach is basically alkaline salt water with extra chlorine dissolved in it. Salt is terrible for most metals; free chlorine is worse. And zinc and aluminum are both amphoteric, reacting with both acids and bases, so coins made of either metal will be attacked by both acids and alkalis.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Look at the silver bar in the OP's post - that IS the problem bleach creates ! Bleach is well known for turning silver black. And it does things equally as bad, or worse, to copper. Gold ? I've never tried it on gold, but then I never would either.

As for this -

If you've not experienced any problems doing this, I can only guess that what you define as a few drops are so diluted in your solution that the reaction of bleach to the metals is greatly minimalized.

I would never advise using soap to clean coins, but if you do I strongly advise rinsing the coins very, very thoroughly in distilled water immediately afterwards. Because even soap, of any kind, will cause problems with coins over time if it is not thoroughly removed from the coins.

Mountain Man likes this.
  21. -jeffB

Bleach and acid is a popular combination for dissolving gold out of ores. (It gives off lots of chlorine gas, for the bad-idea cherry-on-top.) Without acid, it might not attack gold metal, at least not very quickly -- but I'm NOT trying that experiment. (Actually, I've got lots of gold-plated circuit contacts here and there, and I'm a little tempted.)

Draft saved Draft deleted