Remove yellow mark from coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by pballer225, Feb 24, 2013.

1. pballer225

pballer225 Member

I love this capped dime, but the mark really distracts me - does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the yellow marks?

rTVg3pu.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heated Lime

Heated Lime Member

take a bench grinder to it.

4. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Have one I could borrow?

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks like a job for acetone to me...

6. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I don't know why people have to take the time to post sarcastic stuff like that. :rollling:

I can't tell what it is that causes the yellow spot but a swish or soak or both in pure acetone and a swish in distilled water afterwards may remove it without harming the coin. Otherwise, I don't know what to try that won't alter the coins surface.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Photoshop? Truly, what is it made out of?

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would try acetone first, but it looks like there is a tiny darker locus in the middle of each yellow mark, which would indicate corrosion/toning ( yellow?) from a contaminant and might not be affected by the acetone. Then it is either: leaving as is, or try very diluted EZest for short dips/rinses to see if it comes off before most of the patina does.

9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

If it was just tarnish. I would use hot water and cooking soda in a glass bowl, with a piece of albumin foil that has been sanded. Next place the coin just touching the foil. If the tarnish or object goes away, then remove the coin and pat it dry with a cotton cloth. Do not rub the coin. Let us know if it works well.:smile

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

albumin foil? :D

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Keep the albumin (egg protein) away from silver! Autocorrect doesn't know much about chemistry. :)

On a more serious note, I don't believe the aluminum-foil-and-baking-soda method is very well thought of for valuable coins, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted