Remove me from your mailing list.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AdamL, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Thanks for that. But, if it is the kind of email that comes from random addresses, is there a way to stop it? Or, is this a different subject?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I was never complaining about emails. I mean physical mail coming to my house from coin dealers I've bought from on ebay.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Random ones there’s not really anything you can do other than just mark it as spam or delete it. It’s honestly just quicker to do a mass deletion every morning then respond to them. The Fake paypal ones especially, I believe it’s actually worse responding like the robo calls as it shows you’re an active address.

Inspector43 and Maxfli like this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This. Don't respond to them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    baseball21 and Inspector43 like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

RETURN TO SENDER is a joke, many times.

I had some mail sent to a different name at my address.

1. I wrote return to sender and put it back in the mail.
    2. The letter came right back to me.
    3. I then sharpies out the plastic window and put it back in the mail.
    4. Mail carrier cut out the plastic window to see the original address, and then sent it BACK TO ME.
    5. It turns out it was someone's debit card, so I paid the 50c postage myself and sent it directly back to Bank of America.

Moral: RETURN TO SENDER either gets the piece thrown away, or returned right back to you

AdamL likes this.
  7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I have a solution to this but it wouldn't help you. I would just use procmail https://system.cs.fsu.edu/procmail/ - Otherwise use can use the filters in thunderbird

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

:woot::woot::woot:

9. Kentucky

Just saw a study that said it makes no difference if you naswer or not. I usually don't.

10. Kentucky

I think that's against the law.

11. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

If it's bulk/junk mail, the carrier just tosses it in the trash dumpster when they get back to the station. So basically all you'll be doing is having the carrier throw it away. The sender will not know this and will continue sending the bulk/junk mail to your address. And if I was your neighbor, I'd be po'ed if you were putting your junk mail in my mail box. To me that ranks right up there with you letting your dog dump on my lawn and not picking it up. But no hard feelings, I know you probably wrote that as a joke. :)

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Thats actually illegal anyways.

Kentucky and Inspector43 like this.
  13. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Finally! someone gets it!

I am cognizant of my ability to be a pita to members. Sometimes, I enjoy the responses, accordingly.

As to my closest neighbor, if anyone thinks I am going to walk a 1/2 mile to tinker in the mailbox of someone, at my age, and my wandering mind, then that someone has not lived a full and happy life.

I don't have a dog. I have, though, been known on occasion.... well, never mind. I understand the point.

Of course toss it away. I am not going to waste my time with the grumpy old man....or the alternative old man yells at cloud.....act, and start a I will show you campaign of writing and walking back to the mailbox to send it back, with hrmpff notes on it.

My wife is still a vibrant person with an active libido. I am crazy, but not stupid about which choice I would make with my unencumbered time.

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As stated by @VistaCruiser69 it was my understanding (told by a mail carrier) that if it is bulk or third class mail, it simply gets thrown away, so it does no good to try to return it.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As for unwanted mail, I believe you can be added to a list, like the "Do Not Call" list, but don't have that site address handy at the moment.

16. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I've received catalogs from major auction houses for years and never considered it a security risk. I have a big mail box, and others would have to see the mailman actually placing them in the box to know I receive them. Many arrive in envelopes or boxes that do not give a clue as to what's inside. For long term reference, I prefer PDFs but enjoy looking through the paper catalogs. Sometimes I spot something I "need" that I missed online. When auctions are over, I donate the catalogs to the local friends of the library for their weekly support sale. The catalogs sell quickly.

My most valuable coins reside in a safety deposit box.

Cal

17. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

None of the ones I'm getting come in boxes or envelopes.

18. Kentucky

Cancel my subscription to the resurection...

AdamL likes this.
  19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're not Elvis in disguise?

AdamL likes this.
  20. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

If they send you a return envelope with postage paid, let them pay the return postage!! Fill the envelope with several pages and write stop sending me this junk on each page!! Maybe they'll get the message!!!

AdamL likes this.
  21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I used to send them ritz crackers

AdamL and 1stSgt22 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted