Remove from Slab or not ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Hi all I just received several coins in these slabs from HA. Should I remove the coin from the slab? 6D956384-50A6-492B-99CB-56B121605150.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's really your call. Some collectors and other folks will pay a premium for a slabbed coin, basically because it has been "vetted" by NGC or another TPG company. On the other hand, the slabs are clunky and take up a lot of storage space. Additionally, it is nice to have the actual coin in hand, and not encased in a petrochemical product.

I have cracked most the the slabs coming my way. I find that the NGC holders are problematic when it comes to ancients, due to their irregular shapes. This issue can sometimes result in a coin coming loose, popping out of one or more of the prongs designed to keep it in place.

Your coin seems to have been mounted in the holder quite nicely, but I don't want to tell you what to do. I am sure other CT members will offer their perspectives on this matter.

dougsmit and Carl Wilmont like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The slab adds to retail value. Keep it in the slab until you can no longer resist holding the coin in your hand, then bust it out. But save the label and keep it with the coin.

6. iameatingjam

iameatingjam Well-Known Member

Thats a nice coin, I think it would sell just fine without a slab...

7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It is safe in the slab.

Mammothtooth likes this.
  8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preference. As for me, if I owned that coin:
    wLA7JMF.jpg

"I'm Mister Crowbar. And this is my friend, who is also a crowbar."

9. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Even more the reason why it is safer in the slab :)

Mammothtooth likes this.
  10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

In or out of the slab that is a wonderful coin @Mammothtooth . I think a lot of it depends on how you want to store your coins and if it is important to you to be able to hold and inspect the coin. If you decide to break it out I second the recommendations to keep the insert.

I prefer my coins raw and have never regretted busting one out. Here are a few coins I have busted out of the slab.

8406EC8D-176C-457C-BF6A-7EE617CEB9BF.jpeg
    0EC2A452-851D-4256-B0A6-BC6C3FFB783F.jpeg
    ABFACB27-A879-4ECF-9061-5CA983B8D076.jpeg
    9754ECD3-2567-4EE2-BF3F-D51E1A373D56.jpeg

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm still on the hunt for a sylphium plant! And would you look at that Aelius?!!!

Mammothtooth, Spaniard and Curtisimo like this.
  12. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

I record the number and break them all out. I like to take pictures though so everybody's different. I feel like if I want to sell I can reference the number (which I record like provenance) and it does the same job for value - or it can always be slabbed again.

Mammothtooth and sand like this.
  13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Mammothtooth.....That's a great looking coin!......I've never bought a slabbed coin before, hence never had to break one out. As you know this type coin is thin - Please be careful!

Mammothtooth likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If that was my coin, I’d leave it be.

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is different in the number of rays in the star on the headgear. I bought it from Fred Shore (book author) in 1993 (year his book came out) when they were still Orodes I. It did not make the book. It was IDed as Rhagae mint which usually has eight points as opposed to six for Ekbatana. This has seven. The legend has some overlap oddities with the M of Megaloy between the first two letters of Epifanoy. I wish I still had the full write up from when I bought this coin. It is a more than a bit over my head.

op0100bb0711.jpg

Mammothtooth, robinjojo, Bing and 5 others like this.
  16. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

If I wanted the coin, I would remove it from the slab. Ancient coins are far more enjoyable when they can be handled. All my serious collecting friends prefer their coins not slabbed and crack them out whenever they get a slabbed coin.

However, if you don't much about owning it and are thinking of selling it, then keep it slabbed. Slabbing increases its dollar value (while, in my opinion, decreasing its enjoyment value.)

Spaniard, red_spork, Nvb and 3 others like this.
  17. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I fully agree with the above sentiment and always break my coins out.

While I would never pay a premium for a slabbed coin, I may be more inclined to buy slabbed than raw from a dealer/ eBay seller whose judgement I wouldn’t otherwise trust 100%..
    That said I’m just as happy with a solid provenance or NGC paper cert, less the plastic tomb.

sand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted