Reminiscences of modernity

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Suarez, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

0.jpg
    When a coin's design reminds you of something else unrelated to the scene being represented. Has this happened to you?

Maybe just me but this here looks like an impromptu Harlem doo-wop around a trash can fire :headphone:

Rasiel

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Maybe it's just me, but that's a very pretty example for it's type.

Here's mine....

argenteus (1) (1).jpg

Mine looks like they are standing around a bird fountain. Perhaps they are ornithologists admiring some rare bird.

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I love this coin type :D. I recently stumbled on another example of this coin type being offered by Roma Numismatics in their current auction; this one was struck at the Siscia Mint & depicts Diocletian. They don't come any better than this one :smuggrin:.

Lot 1221, Roma.jpg
    Photo courtesy of Roma Numismatics.

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno.

Only the swords are missing...
    F442B680-81D1-44D5-BFA1-E3A1E2BE93E5.jpeg

6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

It can really be said that our modern aesthetic taste derives from the standards of Antiquity, although in most cases the Renaissance and other more recent art movements added a modern twist, especially where numismatics is concerned.

One of my favorite coins that I let go was this AR Litra of Himera, featuring Hera and a seated Herakles:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-p2rHnkIPfMJi.jpg

I was really struck by how "20th century" the bust of Hera looks; in particular I was reminded of this 5 Lati coin from Latvia (1929-1932; I don't own one)
    [​IMG]

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yep, turns out Art Nouveau wasn’t all that nouveau after all.

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great example - even the details of the garments and armor are visible. Did these tetrarchs walk around in full armor all the time?

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

My jaw dropped when I saw this one :jawdrop:! It's obviously an early strike from fresh dies, a true FDC. These Tetrarchs weren't portrayed as humans, they were depicted as stern god-like creatures ready for battle at a moments notice :nailbiting:.

Draft saved Draft deleted