Remember my 41-D Toned Roll? How about a 40-D?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rmpsrpms, Sep 20, 2018.

1. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Three years ago I posted coins from a 41-D roll which had beautiful rainbow toning. Well, here is the first coin from a 40-D roll with similar toning, perhaps a bit darker, but with lots of green, which I really like. Let me know what you all think! I'll post a few more later.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yup . . . likin' that.

4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Good looking oldie..

5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm liking it a lot Ray! It looks like the reverse die has a few more strikes than the obverse. Oh, and your images are only 850 pixels?

6. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Yes, only 850x850. I wasn't sure what I could upload here. Turns out I can do up to 1920x1920, so see below for same coin in 1700x1700.

I suppose I could do a High Resolution image, but I usually only shoot in Hi-Res for varieties. This roll doesn't seem to have any RPMs or DDOs, so I'll probably stick with 850x850 for now. Perhaps I'll shoot one of these beauties in High Res later...

Edited to add: hmm, the forum software won't display the 1700x1700 image any larger than the 850x850, or at least I can't figure out how to make it show full size...

Attached Files:

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Beautiful coin, great photos.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, of course I remember the 41D roll. And I remember the beauty I got out of it!

IMG_1745 copy.jpg IMG_1748 copy.jpg

9. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Here's coin #2:

IMG_0003AA.JPG IMG_0004AA.JPG

RonSanderson likes this.
  10. robec

robec Junior Member

I think you'll get a lot more BN's with these than with the roll of 41-D's. So far, both have been super. I see a few 66BN's coming from this roll.

11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

You may be right. The coins are toned a bit "deeper" than the 41-D roll. They are still very lustrous but a lot of the red that was still left in the centers of the 41-D coins is mellowing in the 40-D coins. I don't have a lot of experience with varying degrees of toning so will have to go by other's guidance here. What are the implications of BN vs RB?

12. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Here are a couple more for this morning:

IMG_0005AA.JPG IMG_0006AA.JPG IMG_0007AA.JPG IMG_0008AA.JPG

13. physics-fan3.14

When we are talking about toning like this, most of the premium comes from the toning. The BN will have a slight discount to RB, mostly because the colors tend to pop more on a RB coin. The bigger difference in premium will be from the darker, more subdued colors here as compared to the vibrancy of the 41D roll.

Realistically, BN vs RB doesn't mean as much for coins like this, unless you count Registry points. These are very attractive coins!

14. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

How do you remove the black on American Silver Eagles that are stored in the old plastic flips. Even in the original packaging I see the black areas so I want to clean and place in everslabs.

15. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Are you talking about dark toning around the edges? Most folks will use a "dip" to remove it, but you need to use it properly. I have a general issue recommending dipping coins, but I don't personally consider ASEs to be coins, just government-made 1oz rounds.

16. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

OK, I have finished imaging all the nicest coins from this roll, total of 21 coins. I combined the images into a 30MP Collage and uploaded it to the EasyZoom hosting site. I've been using this site for hosting my High Resolution stitched images, so this seemed a logical extension.

Here is the link to the Collage. Use the zoom button at upper left to zoom-in, and move the collage around with your mouse to view all the coins.

https://easyzoom.com/image/126100

Take a look and let me know what you think of the coins, and of the presentation!

17. physics-fan3.14

Your link appears to not work. It takes me to a page and says "no images found"

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oh boy. I've said pretty before but thats got to be one of the most even toned coins I've seen. Please don't touch it. I think that coin will be worth more then you think. Are you kidding me. Is the whole roll like that? You need to talk to physics fan about your coins. His don't have your obverse. He and i as well would like to have anyone of yours. IMO

19. Cheech9712

Beautiful coin.

20. Cheech9712

Oops. I answered befofe i read on. Can see you got this covered

21. Cheech9712

Wish i could find a cent that pretty

Draft saved Draft deleted