Release the Kraken!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dimefreak, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Friday February 25, 2011 3:30 PM (NEW!)

I recently was given the option to pick through a extremely large collection by my dealer. Im a toner freak and he simply dont have a market besides me. So anyways, the real picking began today. Today was Commemorative day (although I got a quick glimpse and some gorgeous Morgans ). It became quite obvious early on that this was everything my dealer said it was and than some, so I decided I had to get one coin for myself. I wanted to get something that was a real stunner, and when I looked at it I would remember this hoard and my dealer. We will come back to this point in a minute but let me explain how the day went. Almost everything was in rolls. Multiple rolls of Texas PDS a roll of San Diego's, and then there was quite a few in 2x2's.I was so excited to see the what was in the rolls of Texas because it my favorite Commemorative, but as it turned out they were all lack luster with multiple hits . So as the day went on I got some gorgeous Isabella's a, a knockout Lafayette Dollar, I plucked the top coin off the San Diego roll ( Nice end roll toning), and I grabbed a beautiful Monroe. These coins were purchased for flipping purposes.Now, lets talk about that coin I wanted grab to remember this hoard by. I knew I was going to be making multiple trips to see all of the coins.From what I hear we have barely made a dent. So I didn't necessarily need to grab the "memorial coin" today. Basically, I wanted the coin to chose me. Well about midway through the 2x2's it chose me. The coin gave me this weird feeling in my stomach and I think I noticed my heart beating faster. I knew it was the coin. I think if it comes back under MS67 it would be a crying shame as I have went over this coin 3 times with good lighting and only found 1 hit on his chest.This coin also has plenty of luster to spare!I personally think it is a MS68. So with out further adue I introduce you to my "memorial coin". As always please excuse my poor camera work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

AMAZING coin! Great photos, too! :thumb:

4. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Must spend a lotta cash with that dealer to get customer service like that. ;)

She's a beaut.

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Beautiful coin!!! Hope it gets the 68!

Congrats

6. petro89

petro89 Member

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Come on man! You can't tell us you got a knockout Lafayette and not show us a photo! LAFAYETTE, LAFAYETTE, LAFAYETTE!

Congrats and have a great time cherrypicking that collection.

BTW, the grade of that Oregon is going to be highly dependent upon luster which is hard to show in a photo. Based on what I see, I give it an MS66 or MS67.

8. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Thanks to everybody!!!!!:)

Paul- I will get photos of all of the other coins as soon as they return from NGC. I want to make sure they are all for sale. Which depends on some of there grades.

Here are a few shots to show the luster. I wasn't able to capture all of it but you get the point.Anybody think I have an outside shot at receiving a star?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

That's one sweet Oregon. Congrats!

Jody

10. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Thanks Jody!:thumb:

11. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Great Story Dimefreak and an even better Comm! That is a beautiful coin, Congrats on the find!

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Very nice coin!

13. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

thanks!

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Did you just quote Clash of the Titans? If so, which one? :)

p.s. nice coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted