Relatively new to collecting, my estate sale finds

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Eric Schlenz, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

Hello to all! My name is Eric, I'm fairly new to collecting. My focus has been American Silver Eagles. I'm still educating myself on older coins.

I wanted to share with everyone a batch of coins I found at an estate sale over the weekend. I've done a ton of research on each of the coins, primarily to identify their value.

I'm writing to share my finds with the good folks here, and I'm looking for feedback and any general information.

A couple things to note, from my research:

1. I believe the Mass. commonwealth coin to be a reproduction. The font looks very wrong to me. Can anyone confirm this assertion?

2. The USA bar cent, I also believe to be a reproduction, but I'm not 100% sure. The reason I believe it to be a repro is because it seems to have a pock mark on the USA side (casted?), and I don't see the "tooth" people refer to on any of the bars of the opposite side.

3. I believe the other coins to be genuine. And from my research, I believe the 1798 draped bust large cent is the winner of the group. I've identified it as a hair style 1. Beyond that, I have been unable to determine in more detail what variety it is.

So, what do you think? Bare in mind I only paid $10 for the whole group? Do any of the other coins stand out to anyone as ones I should also focus on due to rarity or value?

I greatly appreciate any feedback! Thank you

20151129_130406.jpg 20151129_130445.jpg

Hommer and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

Looks like you made out really good for only $10. The Massachusetts cent looks fake however

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Eric. I'm not much of an older copper guy, but I don't think you did too bad with the 10 bucks. Others more knowledgeable will be checking in shortly, I'm sure. Enjoy collecting........:)

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The Mass & Bar cent are both NG.

The other look okay, the last one, middle row to the right I cannot make out.

6. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

I think the middle right is a 25 centimes Haitian coin: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10345.html

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The British halfpenny is right enough, shame it's not worth anything. :)

8. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

That is the one on the bottom right, correct? Neither of the British coins appeared to have much value from my research. That one on the bottom right is in rough condition, (to say the least) :)

9. green18

20151129_130406.jpg

Is that a counterstamp on this coin, or a really bad gouge?

10. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

The top row and the 1798 look like where the money is at :greedy:

11. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

I believe it's just a really bad gouge, but I'll double check it tonight. If I recall from my research, this is the "hard times token". It too was in pretty bad shape regardless. You've got me curious though, so I'll take another look.

12. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

Can you confirm that the 1798 is a "hairstyle 1"? Very much looked to be, in my opinion. The draped bust information I read got really confusing with the mention of different Sheldon varieties. So beyond that, I'm not sure what I have exactly. NGC had the 1798 hairstyle 1 listed at $4k in simple GOOD condition. PCGS had far lower values listed.

13. green18

Sometimes folks stamped their initials into coins/tokens back then........

14. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

What would that do to the value of the coin?

15. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice small group of coins for $10.

I like the large cents. Easy cheap pick ups.

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. green18

If it's a famous countermark, it could add value.........but only to a collector of those types of coins/tokens.

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The 1798 looks like it could be the 1798 over 7 variety.

18. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

Are you thinking that due to, what appears to be, a serif at the top left of the 8 in the year? I didn't notice anything in the hollows of the 8, but I hadn't noticed the serif until you just mentioned it

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

For being new and spending 10 bucks, you did great! :)

20. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

THANKS! It's one thing to think I did ok, another to hear it from you guys. Hopefully it's not just beginners luck since that was also the first estate sale I'd ever been to. I plan on going to more now, however. Seems to be panning out better for me than the hours of metal detecting in and around Denver (which I love too).

21. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

It seems that the top row of coins plus the 1798 large cent are the ones to focus on in terms of value. A couple of follow up questions:

1) The 1798 looks rather good, compared to what I've seen in comparison on Ebay. What grade would you guys put that in? G? VG? To me it's a G, but again, newbie here.

Any guess as to value on that one in $? The price guides were all over the place on this, and it largely depends on grade.

2) The other one cent coins, plus the half cent, along the top row also appear to be in pretty good condition to me. Grades for these? Value in $?

3) Are any of them "slab-worthy"?

Thanks so much team!

Draft saved Draft deleted