Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A mini haul in the coinstar last night, there were about 10-11 cents, a dime. With the exception of the 1940 cent, the 1950 Canada GVI cent and the dime, the rest went to the horsey ride for a cent ride.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

Free silver at work Friday a 1947 S Roosevelt dime in a vending machine coin return made a 15 hour work shift a little nicer

Kentucky likes this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Found several Canadian piles in the last couple of days, total haul about C$2

5. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

Alright, since joining this forum and reading the posts, you little bastiges got me looking at the Coin Star machine return slot when walking out near the supermarket door with my groceries. For months it was a total waste of my eye movement time, glancing at it, as it was always empty. Then today, I do my shopping, I'm walking out with the cart with my groceries, giving the return slot the usual waste of time glance, and dam if I don't see some non-copper coins in there. At warp speed, perhaps the fastest one yard dash in human history, I leaped over there, placed my grubby hand in the return slot, could have been a black widow spider in there for all I cared, fished around the slot a bit for about a half second, grabbed everything in there, and shoved the booty into my pants pocket without looking at it. I thought it was two quarters, and on the way home I must admit that it was a cheap thrill thinking about what it might be. I was hoping for two silver quarters. I got home, unloaded all the groceries, and then pulled the coins out of my pants pocket to inspect the treasure.

Turns out it was two Canadian quarters, 1973 and 1979, average circulated condition. Oh well, not much, but I'll have to admit that it was fun. And yes, I will keep on glancing - LOL

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Approx. 80 cents or so in current USA change, deposited into the Miracle Network donation box, then 45 cents Canadian, a 1974 five cent coin, I save those, a coin that I had to look up to see what it was - a Yemeni 10 Rial dated 1990/1412, but best for last - a 1964 dime. First silver baby in weeks. Haven't even found silver in dime roll searches in the past three weeks.

7. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

Coinstar today $2.00 in quarters , dimes & nickels all modern no idea why these were rejected but I'm not complaining

8. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    1918 wheatie (would probably grade F-02)
    1 copper cent, 1 Euro two cent, 1978 Canada dime

Today:
    1 copper cent... and a beautiful shiny 1964 quarter. First silver quarter found in a Coinstar... sure looks like it spent the last 50 years in somebody's change jar.

NumisRookie likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

F-02?

Do you mean F-12 ? Fine-12
    or FA-02, Fair-02

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Walked by the Coinstar in the grocery store, someone was parked there and dumping coins. So I came back in half an hour, barely visible in the corner of the reject slot resided a lonely '64-D dime. I love silver.:smug:

rooman9 likes this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Another day, another Coinstar in another grocery store. A 1964 Dime. Life is good.

12. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Went to the coinstar a couple days ago. It's been dry for a while, but i got a 1940 wheat cent... can't complain it's better than nothing

13. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I walked by today and thought I saw silver. It wasn't silver. It was a 1998 Russian Ruble. :(

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Went by the Kroger CoinStar late last Friday evening, and the reject hopper was FULL of cents. Must have been at least two rolls. I scooped them all out, spread them on the counter, took the three wheaties I found, and left the rest. Didn't even rescue the copper or the foreigns.

Next morning I went by, and found a few new coins in the hopper -- including a 1964 dime. :)

charlietig likes this.
  15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I pulled a single coin out of the Coinstar bin and it turned out to be this little 1964 dime. I've found several silver coins at this Coinstar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks to be in fairly good shape to me. Is it close to AU?

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

1988 Canada 25c coin

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Five regular American dimes, one Canadian 10c coin, and a 10 rappen coin from Switzerland.

18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I love Swiss coins. What year is your 10 rappen coin? The Swiss rappen coins were silver until 1967. All of these coins have the same design but it is a damn good design.

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The 10 rappen coin is dated 2009. What I really like finding are the 1/2 franc coins - they are the size of a dime but worth more than half a dollar.

In order of finds in coin rolls and coinstar reject slots:
    Canadian
    British
    Swiss
    Mexican
    Panamanian - same dimensions etc as US coinage.

BTW the rappen coins were not silver, but the composition in them did not change for a very long time, ie the 1870s or something. I have gotten some 5 rappen and 20 rappen coins that were dated in the early 20th century in roll searches.

20. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was thinking of the franc coins, not the rappen coins. The franc coins all have the same design and only differ in size and the number of francs on the reverse. They were silver through 1967 and can be found on ebay at reasonable prices.

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One silver dime, 1964-D
    two zincolns
    1 Australia 10 cents
    1 Canada 5 cents
    7 Canada 10 cents
    5 Canada 25 cents
    1 Canada dollar coin
    1 Spain 5 pesetas coin.

It was the largest haul in awhile. The same machine had a slightly smaller haul about three weeks ago, also included the obligatory silver dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted