Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Found a one pound coin & a silver quarter in the reject slot yesterday.

Also the teller who cleaned out the machine gave me a 20 cent Aussie coin which was on the side.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Got a Canadian quarter from the magnet today.

4. Inquisitive

Another silver coin from the reject slot, this time a '64 (the one above was a '42)

5. FMT15

FMT15 New Member

About a month ago I found a lone '53 Roosie in a Coinstar return. But about 3 months ago I scored big, finding a 1926 SLQ and a 1898 Barber Quarter along with a couple 2011 pennies :)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Inquisitive

Reject Tube find yesterday: 2 Washingtons, 2 Roosies

Today : 43S Merc

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

I said this before, you are the king of reject tube finds. Do you specifically dump enough coin so they have to come and open the machine so you can look at the tube, or are these right in the tray where you can just pull them out and put in your pocket?

I'm specifically dumping over the amount the bag holds so they have to come and open the machine for me so I can check the tube. The one time I did find silver, it was still up in the tube and was not going to fall into the tray. Have not seen a single coin in the reject since.

HOTN

8. Inquisitive

No. This is NYC, and many people just don't take/have the time to look.

9. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Are there reject tubes on the ones with bags? They keep telling me no. They say there is only a big magnet. Any guesses?

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You should get back there and check that magnet. Probably some steelies there if nobody's cleared it in a while.

11. g1rge

g1rge Member

I found this 1943 Silver 2 Reichs Mark coin laying on the coin changer machine while dumping nickels today! (Also posted on the foreign coin forum.) 120306234420131778396.jpg 120306234031131549278.jpg

12. Inquisitive

A 1 Euro & 20 Cent Euro coins, plus 1/2 swiss Franc.

13. bborg

bborg New Member

what ****es me off about coinstar

I once had a great find with coinstar, I owned 20,000 shares of the stock back when it was a penny stock - Then they up and bought redbox and the stock is now somewhere in the $40's - I have looked at coinstar once since then, I totally turn my head every time I see one of those machines.

anywho

does anyone know who and when they service those machines ? I would love to find out how I could get in touch with the people who service and empty those machines

14. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

Brinks in my area. They come in with these plastic bins so to speak and swap out the full ones and put the empties in. He carts them out on a hand truck while his other driver is waiting at the door. No way or how you'll ever be able to get your hands on something like that.
    HOTN

15. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

1 20 cent Euro

16. Inquisitive

50 cent Euro + 2x one rand coins

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Found a micro SD card in the reject tube today. 1 GB. Didn't have anything on it though.

CallMeButter and Endeavor like this.
  18. Inquisitive

a 2 Euro coin, 2 20 cent euro coins, and 2 Bahamas quarters.

19. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I found these coins on the shelf of a Coinstar a few days ago. The 1989 coin from Brasil appears to be in Mint BU condition. The rolled penny is a 1996D and I don't know what happened to the Shield Cent but its copper shell is starting to flake.

Notice that these coins were found on the shelf of the Coinstar. I pretty much never find coins in the reject slot anymore and I confirmed my suspicions as to why that is yesterday. I watched someone use a Coinstar and there was a constant animation of a hand reaching back and forth into a reject slot the entire time they fed in the coins! There was also a message on the screen telling you to check the reject slot as there may be coins inside of it. A double wammy. If you're still finding a decent amount of coins in the reject slots of your local Coinstars enjoy it while it lasts because it probably means that the software hasn't yet been updated showing this animated hand and written message!

Attached Files:

20. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

I don't even think my bank has a machine to cash in your change so i always have to go to coinstar and pay a fee......do the banks you guys go to when changing in your coins charge you a fee? Just wondering...

21. Atreides

Atreides New Member

got a washington quarter from the bank's reject tube (i seem to have better luck with quarters from the machine than actual rolls, lol)

Speaking of coinstar, I was thinking about this the other day, what do they do in the supermarket when the machine fills up? I assume that (since it's run/serviced by an outside vendor or the armored car company and not the supermarket staff) dumping large amounts of change at coinstar wouldn't be feasible even without the fee, as you'd be limited to whatever space the machine has left if there's no way to change out bags more than once a day.

Draft saved Draft deleted