Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

1/5 gallon of gas in CA... :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

No new silver finds, but 18C out of a coinstar that has never produced even a Zlincoln.

lordmarcovan and -jeffB like this.
  4. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I took some halves to the coinstar for an Amazon GC. There was a quarter waiting for me.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Leaving the post office there was a quarter on the ground. Later at the coin star, in the slot was a dime, 50 centavos from 1985 before the devaluation and a euro coin from Italy. And a dime on the grill. 100_8027.JPG

6. Kentucky

or is that 50 Pesos...

7. Michael K

Oh yes, you are correct. 50 pesos devalued (1000 times?).
    What is 10% of half a peso? I got down to the last calculation, and it was so small I couldn't figure it out. .005 of a peso? If a new peso is worth around 5 cents, this is worth .00025 of a cent? 40 of these = .01 cent.
    What did people do who worked all their lives and saved a million pesos and then the next day, it was worth 1000 pesos?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

They must have had a time when they could switch the old pesos for new...otherwise, how horrible!

Michael K likes this.
  9. Michael K

Yes they could switch, but wasn't it at 1000-1? Now you are forcing me to use Google. It says this in 1993: Under the new regime, the 1,000-peso coin, worth 33 cents, becomes a one-peso coin with no change in value.
    I don't think a peso being worth .33 cents lasted a long time. I went to Mexico in 1975 and the peso was worth about 8 cents. Today it is worth about 5 cents.
    "The poorer class, accustomed to being millionaires by virtue of their hordes of pesos, is particularly troubled. "The fear prevails that the new monetary system masks a devaluation of the peso against the dollar, a generalized hike in prices, and by magic, the disappearance of savings, all of which is false," wrote the daily El Financiero."
    "One elderly woman recently broke into tears in a Mexico City bank upon learning that her life savings of 100 million pesos, or about $33,333, would soon become 100,000 pesos. Attempts by concerned tellers to explain that the value of her savings would remain intact failed to reassure her."
    I imagine that .33 cent peso didn't last long, I mean it's worth 5 cents now,
    and there is inflation.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  10. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Been a few weeks since I've posted, found a 1950D Rosie in the tray a couple of weeks ago..
    20231127_031853.jpg

Then a couple of nights ago I had my best find in over a decade of eyeing 'my' Coinstar! On Thanksgiving weekend no less!
    Took a look at the machine from a few yards away and I could see that the tray was filled nearly to the brim with coins.. which was a good sign. The only other time I've seen it nearly entirely full of coins I found a bunch of US and foreign change as well as my first circ silver quarter (1960D, still have it!)
    20231127_031742.jpg

Lots of US and foreign coinage in the pile as you can see. However there were 3 proverbial diamonds in the rough..

A 1964D Rosie.. always glad to find free silver of any kind!
    20231127_042203.jpg

And the latter two I was thrilled to find! A 1961 Australian Shilling.. my first Aussie silver piece and so far as I can recall my only foreign silver out of a reject tray..
    20231127_033111.jpg
    20231127_033145.jpg

And the creme de la creme. A 1907 Barber dime!!! First one I've ever found in the wild! It's a bit too worn to conclusively tell whether or not there is a mintmark but I believe it is a 1907O. If so that makes it that much sweeter of a find as in addition to being my first wild Barber dime find it'd also be my first New Orleans mint find! Without further ado..
    20231127_042403.jpg
    20231127_042145.jpg

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You've got to wonder how someone would miss THAT much change accumulating in the reject slot while they were feeding the machine...

JPD3 and Mad Stax like this.
  12. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Seriously! I mean could they possibly have not noticed? I think its more likely that they were just indifferent. Which, if that is indeed the case, is an even more grievous crime imo lol. Perhaps they figured it was mostly foreign stuff, cents and cruddy and damaged coins. Regardless I assume I'll appreciate these little tokens of history much more than they would have. One man's trash is another man's treasure :happy:

JPD3 and -jeffB like this.
  13. Kentucky

When we would go to Vegas, we'd stop by an Albertson's Grocery and get a dozen donuts to have in the room in the morning with coffee...anyway...coming away from the checkout, I saw a CoinStar and dipped into the reject slot...FULL to overflowing, I think the haul was around $9 mostly US, but I did get one of the Canadian Poppy quarters that had enamel or some-such on the reverse.

JPD3 and -jeffB like this.
  14. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

1.JPG

I found $1.85 in common change at a Walmart Coinstar yesterday.
    I'm thankful to find this much.:)

Kentucky, Mad Stax and -jeffB like this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks like a couple of the cents are copper!

16. Michael K

Before the machines were "fixed", I think the internal reject slot would get full, (or the machine was not functioning correctly) people would dump the coins in too fast and it couldn't handle it, and dumped some back out. Also, one funky coin would be the front of a rush of normal good coins behind it. Maybe the machine dumped coins into the slot after the person left? I remember pulling 2 or 3 monster hauls from that. Things are pretty tight around here with the Coin Stars.

17. jensenbay

A couple days ago... Canada quarter and a few stuck together us coins in a coinstar.

18. Dustin McDaniel

Dustin McDaniel Active Member

About a week ago Coinstar had forty something cents (I think?) Including a Canadian 1975 nickel.

Earlier today nothing in Coinstar but did find .63 cents in self checkout I was using.
    Had to go back to same Walmart after work to get some cheese for wife and found $1.11 in Coinstar.
    No silver anywhere to be found but hey got $1.11 off my cheese!

Michael K, JPD3, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  19. jensenbay

1 us cent
    1 eurocent
    1 2-euorcent
    1 washer
    in a coinstar today.

JPD3 and Mr. Numismatist like this.
  20. Michael K

2 dimes in the slot. Cha ching.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have been skunked for a week or two. Besides heavily corroded Zincs.

Draft saved Draft deleted