Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1941 quarter on the Coin Star grill. They prob tried it once or twice and it kept getting rejected for wrong metal. My previous oldest was 1943.
    1941.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I went to Walmart earlier today to pick up some printer paper; I also found a Taiwanese $10 coin left on the Coinstar shelf. The date is 1991, if I'm not mistaken.

Taiwan 10 Dollars combined.jpg

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

$0.20 Coinstar at Winco...

5. Michael K

The Taiwan coin is 10 Yuan, copper nickel 7.5 grams, conversion to US is
    $1.57. But NGC has it listed as .30 in VF and .50 in XF.

NOS likes this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

IMG_2353.jpg

The '62 Dime was a nice find.

7. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Still thoroughly confused by this machine
    20211218_064455.jpg

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

An insignificant but rather unusual and scarce find:

IMG_2372.jpg IMG_2373.jpg IMG_2374.jpg

It is only the 2nd or 3rd Soviet find in a Coinstar reject slot, the others were like 15 or 20 kopeks and larger. The dime is pocket change for size comparison.

While the cent had a bit of purchasing power, ie penny candy, the kopek had no real value other than as change. The cheapest item in the USSR was a small book of matches and I believe they cost 2 kopeks. The price of a local phone call was also 2 kopeks.

9. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

My local coinstar machines have been shut down and/or out of order for quite some time now....grrr

10. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Found these 2 steel pennies in the coin machine at my local Publix today!
    16A039AF-BDD0-47E4-8F90-A185EB35598F.jpeg D5F73073-0E47-430E-990A-6194B10D6D01.jpeg

11. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Was at the grocery store with my almost 7-yr old. Walked past the coin machine, and he says there's something in it. Sure enough, there was a Mexican Peso, 2 korean coins, a game token, and the winner! a 1859 Canadian Penny.

Thing is pretty hard to read. May give it a vinegar bath to clean it so I can read it.

2022.1.15-o.jpg 2022.1.15-r.jpg

12. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

The other day I was walking threw the grocery store and passed the coinstar and the glowing brightness of silver caught my eye it was a 1964 d at least au58/ms60 I love Free silver

Whistler's brother likes this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Nice situational awareness on your 7 y/o YN. Kudos to them.

Sounds like the YN has a sweet 1859 Canadian penny to add to their collection. ;) Along with, of course, a Mexican Peso, 2 Korean coins (I'm assuming some denomination of Won) and the game token. Finders keepers. :)

14. Michael K

Nice score on the steelies. I think I have 4, but never more than 1 at a time.
    Quarter and a penny in the slot. And I had to make another stop, a dime on the grill.
    Not photo worthy.
    As Lefty said to Sonny in Donnie Brasco as he is trying to break open some parking meters, "A score's a score."

15. halvessearcher

halvessearcher Active Member

One silver roosie in the coinstar tray. A 1964. Been quite a while since I found silver in the tray.

Whistler's brother and -jeffB like this.
  16. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

3 quarters, 1 nickel, 5 dimes, and 11 cents US.
    1 quarter CDN in a coinstar.

jamor1960 likes this.
  17. Michael K

First Coin Star scoop of the year.
    scoop.JPG

18. Whistler's brother

Whistler's brother Well-Known Member

Found on the floor by the Coinstar at Walmart.
    016.jpg 015.jpg

NOS, Mountain Man, jamor1960 and 3 others like this.
  19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

IMG_2413.jpg

Filthy dirty coin finds in the coinstar reject slot this morning. At least if you're going to be filthy - be silver and both had to be 1962-D's

20. Michael K

People are so averse to having change now. Everything is on the card or cash, with no change. At the self serve checkout they intentionally leave change in the cup. Even if they don't realize the coin is silver, you would think that if the Coin Star didn't accept it, they could just take it and spend it. But they prefer to throw it away if they can't cash it in. A few times I have found silver or the shelf or grill (yes most have been in the slot) when I just know 100% they tried 3 or 4 times and it kept getting rejected and they just give up and throw it away by leaving it on the shelf.
    I don't have an exact count, but I have 1 40% half, around 8 quarters (or more) more than 30 Rosies, and I think 4 Mercs. And 1 1942-S nickel.
    I'm still waiting for a foreign silver.

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Second day of silver finds - these were a wee pile on the counter of the Coinstar machine - someone had even removed them from the reject slot and cast them off on the counter:
    IMG_2415.jpg

The cents are a 1912 and a 1941, the dime a 1918, the quarter is dateless. The Canadian 10 cent coin is a 1951 - and my first ever Canadian 50 cent coin - I have never even seen one of those in circulation in Canada.

Miketexas, NOS, Mr. Flute and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted