Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Gag me with a spoon.

Hiwatt and Hookman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Couldn't believe it. Today I happen to be passing by the coin machine while it was being serviced. (Not a coinstar. I don't know the company that runs it.) Clerk was picking some crap out of the reject bin, and was about to throw it all away as trash. There was some actual trash, and a few coins. I was able to stop him and he gave me coins saying they weren't American. Fine by me. There was a Bahamian quarter, a Columbian 200 peso, and these! a 1933 New Zealand forin, and a Straits Settlement cent. I had to look that one up. Neat stuff for sure. IMG_3279[1].JPG IMG_3280[1].JPG

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Cool coins. One is silver, worth a few bucks and the penny, being somewhat scarce, is also worth a few bucks. I have several of each, both better and worse.
    George is looking a little gaunt there and Victoria is a mere wisp of herself.

NOS and Hiwatt like this.
  5. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

I agree the conditions are, ...well..., It's a reject tube score. The silver is a nice touch, although only about $5 based on current market.

I'm still flummoxed about the age and source. I actually had to look up what the Strait Settlements were. Such a strange part of history and the interconnectedness of the empire.

NOS likes this.
  6. Hookman

That whole area changed control several times over the years. One series I really got into was Sarawak. A guy named Brooks, with a handful of his buddies and of course, modern guns, went there in like 1850 and took over the entire country. He named himself the White Rajah and passed the country down through several generations of his sons until finally the last one ceded the country over to the British government after WW II.
    Though you can bet he was "going native" most of the time, after he solidified his control of the country, he went back to England and married himself a white wife and took her back to the jungle to begin his dynasty. What a price she paid for a Royal title.
    I'm still trying to pick up on a Dollar coin from both Sarawak and the Straits Settlements. They are rare and expensive.

NOS, Mickey in PDX and jamor1960 like this.
  7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Found my first silver in over a year at the local Coinstar machine earlier today. I went to pick up some of my mom's favorite soup at Kroger's for Mother's Day and found this nestled away in the reject slot.

1964D Dime Kroger's (Mother's Day)_000098.png

1964D Dime Kroger's (Mother's Day) Reverse_000099.png

8. DeanC12

DeanC12 Active Member

20210509_195719.jpg Found yesterday in the coin machine at Wegmans . Some foreign, some American, tokens from Jeepers restaurant and a couple of marine corps toys for tots tokens . Haven't gone through it all yet.

9. Hookman

That's all 1 find? Darn, lucky guy.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@DeanC12 that was one heck of a find. Sure you didn't stuff a sock up in the slot and then collect the rejects? LOL

Hookman likes this.
  11. CoinJockey73

That's a great pic. Mine always look so washed out. Nice find. My local machine has been nada the past dozen times past.

Hookman likes this.
  12. Bradley Trotter

For those images, I used my scanner in conjunction with some basic editing programs.

Hookman and CoinJockey73 like this.
  13. CoinJockey73

Makes sense. I'm basically balancing my phone on a beer can with spot lights set up, lol. Yours look great

Hookman likes this.
  14. Bradley Trotter

Here's the process I use @CoinJockey73.

1. Download and install Control Center 4 if you don't have it already.
    2. Set up a destination folder for the coins you wish to scan.
    3. Place the coin in the scanner.
    4. Scan the coin at 1,200dpi
    5. Right-click on the desired image and click edit with photos.
    6. Edit and crop
    7. Click on the adjustments panel once you've made the requisite changes to avoid autocropping once you've made the desired edits.
    8. Upload image

Hookman and CoinJockey73 like this.
  15. CoinJockey73

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and thought to write that all out, now all i have to do is get a scanner, and learn learn everything you just said, lol. I don't even have a computer, i do EVERYTHING on my phone. Thank you kindly, though.

Hookman and Bradley Trotter like this.
  16. Whistler's brother

Whistler's brother Well-Known Member

Found this little gem today at the Walmart Coinstar.
    017.jpg 018.jpg

17. Hookman

Cool !! I love finding silver. It's like finding treasure.

Whistler's brother likes this.
  18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I'm in a silver drought. Lately I have found lots of crusty or sticky Zincolns, a few Canadians and a handful of Chuck E. Cheese tokens.

Whistler's brother and Hookman like this.
  19. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

:yack::yack:But those cheese'ee tokens are still usable;).

Hookman likes this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But wouldn't you have to go into a Chuck E. Cheese to do it? :nailbiting:

Hookman and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  21. Nolan Workman

Nolan Workman Well-Known Member

Good day at the Safeway CoinStar. '39 Washington and '64D Rosie with an rpm south. 39washington.jpg 39washingtonR.jpg 64Drosie.jpg 64DrosieR.jpg 64Drpm1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted