Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Oh, OK. If you do visit the zoo to spend them, say hello to Meow's feline cousins.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I'm not condemning you guys for doing this but I'm wondering has anyone ever said anything to you for doing that, like "HEY, what are you doing?". Has anyone ever stopped you? Do people see you do it and look at you funny?
    Personally, I would feel somewhat embarrassed if people were watching me check the reject slots in coin machines.

One thing I have done while in a grocery and seeing someone head to the Coinstar with a jar or bucket of change, is offer to buy all of their change, on the spot, for cash.
    Of the few people I've actually asked, only one young couple accepted my offer. The rest looked at me like I was a bum trying to get their money. Even after I explained to them that I collect coins and that by selling me their coins they would be saving money, their bad looks just changed from "bum" to "swindler".

People have gotten so used to having to protect themselves from getting ripped off, that you can't hardly talk to anyone about anything to do with money without them thinking you're some kind of thief.

4. MeowtheKitty

Meow only checks them while actually using them.

5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering.

When ever I'm out in public, I always feel like people are watching me......and judging.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, we are. :peeking:

7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Just curious, why would you care that others are watching? For me to care what someone else thinks means I need to value their opinion. I don't know them, so I don't care what they think.

Gotta be comfortable in your own skin.

johnyb and UncleScroge like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since I don't use them, that would be...never. However when I walk past, I try and be stealthy looking at the reject slot or fishing around in it...and I totally give myself away when I do my "I found silver" dance...
    [​IMG]

9. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Nope, the chance of free silver certainly outweighs any weird looks directed towards me when checking the reject slot.

masterswimmer, Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  10. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Case in point, this was well worth the odd look of the Kroger's self-checkout attendant.

1961 Obverse.JPG 1961 Reverse.JPG

11. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

I didn’t read all of the entries so maybe somebody else mentioned this but there are TWO reject trays INSIDE of most machines and whatever goes in there you don’t get back.
    I reported a couple of months ago about being burned by hot coins that did come back. Was burned bad enough to put a painful blister on my palm. I had several enlightening conversations with a corporate Vice President of VYSTAR and I asked directly about those inside trays and he deftly avoided answering me on that. Last week I took several hundreds of dollars in and had them open the machine. There were a number of “bent, damaged and foreign coins in the trays and scattered inside in other spots. I asked for them because I teach metal detecting to kids and would use them as targets but was told they are AUDITED on those coins and must keep them. ???????? That’s pure profit for them.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I saw a guy servicing the machine one time and he dumped out the internal reject slot. Most of it were mangled pennies and dimes. I couldn't tell if the dimes were silver or not. There was a very nice Marge Simpson pressed penny he gave me,
    but there was a nice undamaged Ike dollar in there.

13. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

A few day ago while in Arizona... picked up some snacks and on the way out I told the kids to check the Coinstar. They found about $2.25 worth and a few tokens.

14. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Today, back at home, 4 quarters, 3 car wash tokens, a couple Canadian, and a key in a coinstar.

15. MeowtheKitty

Meow has mentioned this on this site before, but Meow one day decided to make two separate tickets with the CRH leftovers in the Coinstar. So Meow did about $60 in change, and ticketed out. Then ran roughly the same amount again. But on the SECOND load two Samoan coins fell out into the tray. Of course Meow did not put them in there, so where did they come from? And why drop on the second load? Something just does not feel right about it, and Meow suspects shenanigans going on.

16. Geod

Geod Member

Todays CoinStar find includes 1955 and 1962 Roosevelts

CoinStar.jpg

17. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

These CoinStar machines must not work very good when they reject $1.97 of recent U.S. coins! What's up with that?

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's always a small chance of rejecting a good coin or accepting a bad one. If someone dumps several hundred dollars through, there'll be a few good coins improperly rejected. Most people check the slot, pull out the rejected coins, and try to run them through again; they're usually accepted the second time through. Some people forget to check, or just don't bother. (If you're already giving up 11% of the value of your coins, what's a few more lost dollars?)

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It's a conspiracy of the dogs...

20. Michael K

In the old days before fixing them, it seemed to reject a foreign, and then everything that was in there after the reject also came out.
    Nothing in my area for a long time now. The gravy train is over for me.

21. Michael K

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. 2 silver dimes. 1952-S 1964-D.
    2S3.png 100_2257.JPG

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted