Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Yes, and it's also illegal to pick coins off of the parking lot - they belong to the owner of the parking lot.

You also can't pick up cans or bottles from the ground since they belong to the entity that owns the ground they lie upon.

Corn Man, -jeffB, Cheech9712 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Actually they belong to the vending entity that owns the machine and has the contractual agreement with the retail establishment that hosts the machine. What's your point?

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And you know this or just have a "gut" feeling?

5. hotwheelsearl

Probably an Internet knight

Kentucky likes this.
  6. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

He made an assertion that removing coins from a reject tray is stealing and against the law. Because he was the one who made the assertion, he is the one who must prove his point with evidence. Until he has proven his point, his statement is meaningless and should be a ignored.

I give him an F with an opportunity to revise his post for a higher grade.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

Ah, spoken like a true professor! I used to occasionally get grades like this in college.

8. After all the unkind, sarcastic and negative responses to my statement about taking coinstar rejects, I called the local police department and asked them directly. I stand corrected in that there are currently no state laws in MY state regarding this issue, however, that is not to say there are no local statutes. The police captain I spoke with went on to say that technically the rejects do in fact belong to establishment housing the machine but rarely if ever do such establishments check these reject bins. As for the esteemed professor "myownprivy" and their grade of "F" for my statement,have a wonderful day

9. myownprivy

It appears Charles Brooks has dropped the class.

GH#75, -jeffB, Kentucky and 1 other person like this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think the law in question can be summed up as follows: Finders Keepers!*

*with certain exceptions such as a wallet with ID. Also, some local laws may require that the items be turned into the police and if no one claims within a certain time period then the finder takes possession.

GH#75 and Cheech9712 like this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

Okay, then my earlier comment stands.

Does an aluminum can left on the ground of a parking lot belong to the parking lot's owner?

Am I stealing every time I pick up a can off the ground?

Consider your example. A coin that used to belong to me, but that I left in a machine, now belongs to whomever picks it up next - be that the store establishment or a private individual. I doubt I can legally pursue that coin being returned to me since it's my fault for leaving it around.

Likewise, an aluminum can - that I paid for, and belongs to me - now belongs to whomever picks it up next. I can't force them to give the can back because I forfeited ownership when I left it. The can doesn't belong to whomever owns the surface that the can lays upon. It belongs to the next guy to pick it up.

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

One man's aluminum can is the Police Department's litter!

13. I said "I stand corrected" so please get the hell off my back people. You are ALL starting to really turn me off about this website altogether

14. bunch of holier-than-thou stuck up creeps

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Lighten up Charles! Don't have such a thin skin. I don't know if you are old enough to remeber pay phones? They were public phones that were everywhere and you had to put money in to make a call. They had a coin return slot. All kids and a lot of adults used to check that slot for coins. All vending machines had coin return slots; point is NO one ever accused people who found money in the coin return slot as stealing. So saying that on this thread is pretty much calling everyone here a thief. So that may be why you received a little grief.

Let's get back on topic and talk about coins! It's all good!

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I'm in the 5th grade and I get sent down to the office. There's nothing to do so I am just sitting in a chair there eating pistachio nuts. There's no trash can, so I jam all of the shells into the coin return slot in the pay phone in the office. A male teacher (short guy) comes to use the phone. His call doesn't go through and he goes to get his dime out, and he is digging through all the shells. It was hysterical. So I am trying to hide my red dye stained fingers but he busted me. Took Sherlock Holmes to crack that case. But nothing happened to me for that.

17. Kentucky

My first impression is to suggest not hanging around, but, if you do, you might have some knowledge of coins you could share. Do you collect?

18. hotwheelsearl

Not sure who you're calling creeps, I imagine the police chief was thinking a similar thing about you when you asked whether checking a coinstar slot is stealing

19. myownprivy

I am amazed so many people are still piling on telling you were wrong after you already admitted you were incorrect. The matter is settled.

20. Kentucky

Sometimes takes time to reply, for instance I notice it took me 27 minutes to respond to you.

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Thanks. Like i need to add something more to my confession list.

TexAg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted