Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be nice to find gold? Such as a 20 dollar double eagle? silver sounds nice, but gold sounds fun too.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Unlikely but possible. Some things I don't even think about, and if they happen, they happen.
    If a gold were to happen, it would most likely be a ring, or a penny sized recent small bullion one.

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I thought i read someone on here found a 2 1/2 dollar coin in the reject bin... was a while ago... anyone else recall this?

NOS likes this.
  5. Noah Finney

I have seen that one, I think that was on a different forum, I am pretty sure it was on collectors universe.

6. Michael K

That would be sweet. But you have to figure 1 find like that (if real) in thousands of machines and millions of people looking over (10 years?).
    I have heard of people finding rings.

7. halvessearcher

halvessearcher Active Member

I remember someone finding something gold one time on here. I don't remember exactly what it was. U.S. or foreign. Was a while ago though. Maybe a couple years.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I seem to remember someone finding a tiny $1 gold in the trash chute when they opened the machine to service it. The place where the lint, nails, junk like that ends up.

9. Michael K

Mangled quarter on the shelf. I will be bringing in my years worth of mutilated coins in a few days. Hoping the program is still going.

10. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Is there a program for mangled coins? I have a bunch of them!

11. Michael K

I have brought my mutilated coins in the last 2 years, and hope to do the same this year. Go to your bank and ask first, I clean and count them. They will have to count them anyway, but just a courtesy.
    The program was suspended, but then it was brought back.
    I had asked a teller at my C.U. if the mint destroys old beat up coins the way the Fed does with worn out bills and he said yes.
    Then I read some criminals were buying TONS of fake Kennedy halves (for almost nothing) that were already mangled or they mangled them, and then they were turning them in by the thousands to get redeemed. Claiming they were pulled out of cars that were junked/ or shipped overseas or something. Meanwhile they were turning in more coins than were even being produced so they got suspicious after paying out a fortune.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  12. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael, I will try my bank and see if they will cooperate! I’ll clean them first in my tumbler.

Michael K likes this.
  13. Michael K

I just found a $20 bill in the gutter on my walk. Good thing I cut my gym short today, or I don't get it.

Noah Finney and TexAg like this.
  14. Noah Finney

Found a dryer coin and a 1953 Canadian nickel.

15. Michael K

Noah Finney likes this.
  16. Michael K

Hoping for a dollar coin. 50 colones, Costa Rica. Worth 8 cents US.
    The weight is close to a dollar coin, but it's slightly larger. 7.8g and 8.1 for the US. 27.5mm and 26.5mm for the US.
    C4.png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    -jeffB and Noah Finney like this.
  17. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Found in a Coinstar reject tray at my Mom’s neighborhood grocery store. First silver (1957-D Rosie) in a looooooong time!
    7FEB78D2-6CCB-4E35-AC07-F1DF2ACF9236.jpeg

Lon Chaney, Michael K and Noah Finney like this.
  18. Michael K

Nice. I was able to turn in my mutilated coins. (3 years in a row.)
    The dime I was trying to key out of the grate/acceptor slot was swallowed
    into the belly of the beast, and I didn't feel like turning it on and getting a
    receipt for 8 or 9 cents. I did find 11 cents on the floor of the grocery store anyway.

TexAg likes this.
  19. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

A quarter, dime, 2 cents, and a 50 centavo in a coinstar.

20. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

1984 Sweden 1 krona
    2015 Canada 5 cents
    2 x Euro one cent
    13 cents modern US
    2 Namco arcade tokens

21. Michael K

Yesterday a 2 Euro cent. Today on the floor by the machine, this pressed coin that says: Houston, Texas.
    houston.png

TexAg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted