Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

He was grinning ear to ear,:D because he knew he scored. I never get anything like that, maybe a few sticky Cents.:vomit:

TexAg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

A dime and nickel in a coinstar.

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Kinda makes it worth the effort.

5. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

Found this bit of loot today .The capsule is just a 1999 p state quarter, but since it's in mint state I'll keep it that way. The 35 cents below it were both silver though. Score!

6. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

7. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

Found 14 cents, some junk, and a token.

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

I've found 6 roosies and 1 young head dime in the past month or so. I'm going to try a very VERY unconventional thing to ensure there are no rejects in the slot (no I'm not sticking people up, I'm using the sock trick) to get an idea of how many coins are actually rejected on a given day. I'll post the results.

It's not technically against the rules of Coinstar, or any given store, and most people abandon rejects there anyways. I do feel a bit bad, but this is for Science.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"Sock trick"?

I hope you're not thinking of blocking the reject slot and then collecting coins that get stuck. I'm pretty sure that is "technically against the rules of Coinstar". And "most people abandon rejects there anyways" is (a) a really weak rationalization and (b) not true, at least at the CoinStar machines I've seen. Most people repeatedly scoop coins out of the reject tray and try to re-feed them.

Pickin and Grinin and Dynoking like this.
  10. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

Recent finds from reject tray (without socks)

[​IMG]

Also Jeff, I looked into it. It's not against the rules. The machine will still reject coins, they just sit on the sock. It's more for a research project anyways. I do not suggest someone else does it, I'm doing it in locations where I know the store staff. Stuff in the reject tray, coins or not, is viewed as one thing to Coinstar: trash. I made a post on TNet about it that has more information: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/586238-coinstar-reject-tray-study.html

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  11. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

It seems to me it is against the rules: https://www.coinstar.com/termsconditions

Under section:
    11. User Content and Interactive Services or Areas

You further agree that you will not violate any law, contract, intellectual property or other third-party right or commit a tort, and that you are solely responsible for your conduct while on the Services. You agree that you will abide by these Terms and will not:

• Use the Services in any manner that could interfere with, disrupt, negatively affect or inhibit other users from fully enjoying the Services, or that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the functioning of the Services in any manner;
    • Engage in fraudulent or dishonest activities in connection with the Services;
    Also, even if it isn't illegal (which I still question), what you're proposing is morally akin to theft. Justifying doing this for "science" is a very weak excuse to steal people's money. Stick to finding coins that people don't care to scoop out of the tray or forget to check for. If you really want to know how many coins are rejected in a day (and I have serious doubts about that being your true motivation) then contact coinstar and see if they have any data they are willing to share with you.

davdo likes this.
  12. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

I could also sit outside of the place for 8 hours and survey the people who use it/collect what they leave too. I'd much rather do that. However I'm not too sure people would cooperate, the place that I want to get some results from is in a rough part of town.

However I'd much rather do that than use a sock. I don't like to break my morals.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ah.

So, you see no difference between "return unacceptable coins back to the person putting them in" and "confiscate unacceptable coins without any notice to the person putting them in"? You think that because some people don't check the reject tray, it's okay to confiscate money from those that do?

People drop change, or even paper money, all the time when they're trying to pay for something. Sometimes they don't notice, or just don't bother to pick it up.

So, by your reasoning, it would be just fine for you to dash in and snatch that money off the floor before they have a chance to pick it up themselves.

14. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

It is legal, but it's morally very questionable, so I've decided to just sit outside of a store with a Coinstar, and prepare my notebook. I'll do the survey the old fashioned way; by talking to people. People will usually share their rejects if you're nice about it, a little politeness does go a long way.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What's the date on the Canadian?

16. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

1962, Mike!

Michael K likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Oh that's a score. 80%
    I hit a 1968 but it was not 50%.

18. Cheech9712

Thats low life stuff.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In a "rough" area of town, if some of the townies catch you, you might find out what rough really means. Don't do it.

20. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

Re: didn't do it.

21. Cheech9712

Good kitty

Draft saved Draft deleted