Reject Tube & Coinstar Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Hellofthenorth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Been empty here for a while. So this was pleasant.
    CS5718.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I found this in a Coinstar machine along with a bunch of unremarkable change that I will not mention here. It is a 1943-D steel penny, in decent shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*coins, Pickin and Grinin and -jeffB like this.
  4. Michael K

I believe the coin star is rejecting things that are off metal, more so than the weight.
    Because it accepts both copper and zinc cents even though the weight is different, but it rejects the steelies which is in between both those weights. Likewise why I think it is rejecting silver dimes and quarters. Because of the metal and not the weight. As for the foreign stuff, mostly for size but also for metal. (Just a theory.)
    Also, coins that are the correct metal but damaged get rejected. And it seems when it spits that one out, it will shoot out some other normal coins behind the jam as well. (Or if they dump in too many at once and it clogs the mechanism.)

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, for starters, no US coin machine is going to accept anything that's magnetic. Steel slugs -- electric-box punch-outs, washers, and the like -- are probably the most common thing you'll encounter that's roughly the size and shape of a coin, but isn't one.

I think most mechanisms also detect the different performance of different metals as they go by those magnets and experience eddy currents. So, you're right, they probably do make an effort to reject off-metal items -- but they'll reject things by weight, too.

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

This broke a long dry spell and is my best pull so far from the Coinstar at my local Kroger's.
    IMG_0794 (800x456).jpg IMG_0795 (800x433).jpg

*coins, calishield, Paddy54 and 8 others like this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

LOL yeah all the metal that coinstar kicks out....by weight nice catch.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  8. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

1955 UK two shillings
    2005 Bahamas quarter
    1992 Switzerland 10 (rappen?)

9. Michael K

The Bahamas quarter used to be the same size and weight as a US quarter. Panama too and their money is 1-1 with US.
    Perhaps it was rejected for metal content cupro-nickel.
    The 1955 UK 2 shillings sounds nice. Photo?

10. -jeffB

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  11. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Here's the trio. Saw that it was big and worn and was hoping for a Franklin half. The florin is clad but still an unusual find.

Attached Files:

PlanoSteve and Michael K like this.
  12. Michael K

The 2 shilling is nice. They used to have silver (up to 1946?) but that coin is cupro nickel. NGC lists it as 50 cents in VF 20 and $2.00 in XF 40. Their prices are a little high, but that's a keeper.

13. Drewski64

Drewski64 Member

14. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

Found something EXTREMELY DISTURBING on the floor in front of the coin star.

4410A8FE-FE8E-4087-86AC-B799CB882DF4.jpeg

BlackBeard_Thatch and -jeffB like this.
  15. Michael K

Maybe it was only a cent. A nickel or quarter would be rejected. I got a really smooth (AG-03 at best) 1942-S nickel in there one time. That was awesome.

16. -jeffB

Now I'm tempted to start leaving scrapped 2x2s at the CoinStars around me, just to keep people guessing. I've got a few labeled for Morgan and Peace dollars... :troll:

17. Drewski64

Drewski64 Member

Trickster! Lol

18. -jeffB

And for the people who realize that CoinStars reject silver, perhaps a few nickel 2x2s labeled "1885 AU+++", "1912-S XF", "1937-D 3-leg"... and maybe a couple of small-cent ones labeled "1908-S" or "1914-D MS+++". If I went for "1909-S VDB", they'd know I was trolling.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You-guys are cruel...I like that.

*coins, PlanoSteve and bugo like this.
  20. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Trolling is fun, as long as it's in good humor and not mean-spirited.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. Monstarules

Monstarules Member

1952-D Quarter
    1964 Dime

Not bad

halvessearcher and bugo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted