Rehabilitating Cleaned Coins...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MIGuy, Feb 26, 2021.

1. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Yep, try acetone. Also, I don't see an XF. I'd see it more as F-VF.

masterswimmer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of all this...I was always under the impression that one should never clean their coins...certainly those of potential value...then started learning of the "conservation" service by one of the TPGs...maybe others, also, now. And so what is the bottom line in terms of grading...has anyone ever tried it successfully...? Can a coin...maybe some more than others, etc...be rehabbed enough to receive a straight/legit grade (not "cleaned/details" etc.)...?

4. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Many coins that are restored properly will straight grade.
    With practice (and especially professional grading services) one can recognize when a coin has been restored improperly.
    The short concept is that restoring does things to bring coins back to their original surface, aged or not.
    Cleaning implies abrasion of some sort and that's quite easy for a lot of us to recognize.

Most methods of restoring do not include physically altering the coin. It's usually different chemicals designed to remove dirt, biological material, and moisture. Even ultrasonic methods are sometimes used.

Sometimes various chemical dips if not done too fiercely can remove tarnish/toning but can then quickly alter the coin's surface which can then be recognized in a few different ways, besides the experience of looking at thousands of original condition coins.

One of the main risks is that any technique removing something on the surface leaves a different appearing surface underneath...and so sometimes gentle spots are actually less offensive than the altered looking surface left behind...typically those coins will not straight grade until they've had time to re-age naturally.

The term conservation implies some sort of treatment afterwards to protect an item, but the conservation services for the big grading companies typically do not involve any type of treatment, they are really restoration services.

YoloBagels and MIGuy like this.
  5. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

It looks like my trade dollar. However, I soaked it in acetone and then rinsed it in running water (no rubbing) and as if by magic, all of the "crap" came off or was dissolved by the acetone. Yours could be pvc damage or some type of shellac, and apparently that is what was on my coin. Either way, my trade dollar is now "crap" free.

masterswimmer and MIGuy like this.
  6. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Wow! Thanks and congratulations on your trade dollar! I think I'll do this.

7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You've been here for a couple of years. I'd venture to say you know the rules by now. Pix or it didn't happen ;)

8. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey MIGuy it wont hurt to give it a try. please post the results so we can keep up. good luck brother

MIGuy likes this.
  9. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time/effort with this info...much appreciated. There's so much to it all, if simple for those familiar...but probably why I was just always told to "never clean your coins" :).

Kentucky and MIGuy like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The "never clean your coins" mantra is long standing and well meaning. We have had many people post on here about how you can clean coins with a pencil eraser with "no harm at all" (no...you can't). The main thing to hold in mind is that you will do no harm to your coins using clean pure solvents (water, alcohol, acetone, xylene) as long as you DON'T RUB OR WIPE THEM!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted