Reguess the Grade - 1950 Franklin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jun 25, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

There is virtually no difference in 62 and 64 money. Even 64 money is below the grading cost. Sales of 64 examples have been in the $20-$30 range.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That begs the question, why does the grade even matter? The price of this coin is going to be driven solely by the toning premium. All you need the TPG plastic for is to lend credibility to the originality of the toning.

dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

No doupt.....as I wasn't truly thinking about the series but more so eye appeal and color.
    I've seen on numerous occasions a unc. Set of Franklins being turned away by a room full of dealers. Not one offer...other than spot and they know better than pull that....but the interest level on these is slim.

ddddd likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Theoretically it should not matter. Practically you and I both know that this coin would sell for vastly different amounts in a 62 no star holder vs 63 star vs 64 star.

Also, the lack of a star makes people doubt if the color is anything special (even if it is).

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes raw and low UNC (60-64) m Franklins mainly trade at a small premium above spot (maybe $10-$15 over for graded examples, especially the common dates) even on eBay.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When I was a dealer, Franklin Half Dollars were a minor part of my business. I used to go though a reasonable dealer’s stock and buy the coins that were under graded. The funny part was, I don’t think that the TPGs spent a lot of time grading these coins; they just pushed them out the door. MS-64 graded coins were better than MS-65 pieces and MS-63 pieces could be MS-64 or a little better. If you think I’m blowing smoke, I never lost money on a Franklin Half Dollar.

This coin is probably under graded, but it would not be the first time. Maybe NGC was feeling a bit gun shy that day.

ddddd likes this.
  8. Lehigh96

I feel your pain, I recently submitted a gorgeous set of war nickels to NGC and not one coin got the star designation, and several deserved it. I wonder if the graders forget about the star designation sometimes.

RonSanderson and ddddd like this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Definitely possible.
    It’s funny how I got a 7 point (4 if we only count actual grades) upgrade (Anacs 55 to NGC 62) and it’s still fairly meaningless.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’ve thought that too so I even wrote “check for star” on the submission form and highlighted it for good measure. :p

That stinks about your war nickel order. My entire sub was also mediocre.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think so, too. This coin is a lot cleaner than 62. Unless they're rewriting the technical guidelines, this coin isn't baggy enough for 62.

ddddd likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

@eddiespin your comment from 2015 still holds true :)

eddiespin likes this.
  13. Lehigh96

Actually, I was pretty satisfied with the numerical grades of my 26 coin submission. I only disagreed with one really low grade on a Buffalo Nickel. With the Jeffs, I was ticked that I got no stars and a clearly full step coin didn’t get full steps. It’s hilarious that you write “check for star”, I’m gonna try that.

ddddd likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don’t think it works. This sub didn’t get it on the two I had high hopes for. The other time I tried it the coin came back environmental damage (world coin). But it’s worth a try as one day it might just work.

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

At least they didn’t detail it

ddddd likes this.
  16. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

See if it stickers. :)

ddddd likes this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

I guess I have to celebrate the small victories. :D

18. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

What gives with the lack of a star? Given the massive number of Morgan Dollars with a sliver of peripheral toning that star, this coin should have received it.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don’t know but it’s further evidence of the inconsistency of stars.

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

There’s a hit/scratch in the left field and obvious wear on the obverse. I think they liked the coin but couldn’t go any higher.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’ve seen similar or worse on higher graded coins in terms of hits and I don’t see obvious wear (you might be interpreting breaks in the toning as wear).

I see no sign of them liking it as there is no star. Plus a 62 grade on a common coin like a Franklin is basically meaningless (anything that is 60-62 might as well be raw since those grades are shunned by the market).

Draft saved Draft deleted