Registry sets - Scoring/Standings

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Apr 24, 2018.

1. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Different people have different motivations for registry sets. For some it is a stick measuring competition or a means to legitimize themselves. For others it is simply a way to organize and/or display their collection. I'd imagine many people create them simply because they find them fun to build (everybody likes random semi-meaningless points). The whole pcgs v. ngc registry set bull does not help them have fun. It's just pseudo-conflict created to force collectors to cross coins to build more revenue.

micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Amen. Nothing to add here.

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Yes, I get satisfaction from having the coins.
    But I get additional and greater satisfaction from showing my coins.
    Coins sitting in an album or safe or bank don't really justify being a member of a place like here.
    If you're not going to show them around why be a member of CoinTalk?
    And a VERY easy way to show coins here is posting a link to them.
    And a VERY easy way to do that is to have them organized as a set online.
    And at least PCGS and NGC makes that rather easy.

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

So does the CT gallery.

6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I think that was just defensive verbiage and puffery on the part of NGC to say PCGS coins no longer meet their standards. For most US series, the market disagrees. The real reason they no longer allow PCGS coins in their registry is because PCGS doesn't allow NGC coins in its registry.

Allowing PCGS coins that are already there to stay was done to minimize objections compared to what would have happened if they had peremptorily kicked out all PCGS coins. I think a better plan would have been to allow PCGS coins to remain plus allow sets that already have at least one PCGS coin to add PCGS or NGC coins to empty slots.

Cal

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. PCGS hasn't allowed them for years. To me it was two major reasons, the first was it was a bad look for NGC that a lot of their top sets had A LOT of PCGS coins in them or were even a majority of PCGS coins, and then the other reason was they felt that people would try and cross those/make NGC coins more popular. Plus it was right around the time NGC was picking public fights with PCGS.

In the end from forum responses it appears they probably drove more NGC coins to PCGS than vice versa with the decision. As far as I can tell it seemed to backfire and just tick off a lot of people. I can understand what they were trying to do, but honestly they waited FAR to long and probably should have just left it as is.

On the bright side though it did get PCGS to run a cross over special so I hope NGC picks another fight again lol

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I called NGC to talk about this a while ago. I was sent a letter written by NGC's President explaining their decision. They said that in the last few years, PCGS has been adding coins to their top pops in series (I don't remember all the examples) that severely hurt the market. This is my example, but it's an example of what they were saying. Say for example for 20 years, there were only 5 coins in their top grade and the value was around $30K per coin, but in the last few years, 4 more were added to that grade. They provided exact examples of this. I just can't remember what they were. You could go find the letter that was posted on the NGC site and get all the specifics, but that's one of the reasons they gave for changing the stance on PCGS coins in their registry.

I prefer NGC to PCGS. I have PCGS coins in my registry sets, but I haven't updated any of my sets since NGC made their decision. I still buy coins in primarily NGC and PCGS holders. I've added some in ANACS holders and 1 in an ICG holder.

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Not true Cal. I just posted a reason as to why the change was made. I'm sure you can still find the letter written by NGC explaining in detail why they did it.

To my knowledge, PCGS registry has always been exclusive. NGC allowed both for many years.

10. baseball21

That letter was mocked pretty much everywhere and has been addressed many times before. It ignored the fact NGCs pops increased as well, it ignored how many of the additions were NGC cross overs, it ignored that one of the examples was because someone sent in a fresh roll of 1912-S nickels, it ignored how many were dublicates trying to get a higher grade or that PCGS is more likely to get the best of the best coins given the market ect. It was a marketing effort.

Look at how many coins NGC has bragged about grading that end up in PCGS holders as soon as they sell the first time, the CSA half had that happen so did the Paquet gold as have others.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm not defending it, I'm just stating the reason they gave for the change. So where was it mocked? I'm kinda guessing over on CU.

I don't really care much about Registry sets. It was nice to load both TPG's coins in the NGC site, but eventhough I'm very competitive, I knew I'd never get to #1. I don't have the finanicial wherewithall, nor did I really care enough to try.

12. baseball21

Look through the marketing, Cal was spot on with why and most people see right through what they attempted to do.

I'm not a registry person at all as I just get what I like and don't care about sets, but there's a reason why they dropped that attack mode very quickly and it wasn't because it was being successful for them.

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

CT has a Gallery!?
    I'll have to look into that.

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I was on collecting hiatus during most of that drama. I don't watch pops that closely because I simply don't care enough to do so. Also, I don't have the financial where with all to worry about it.

I was simply posting what I received from NGC after I called them. I am very aware though of the NGC vs. PCGS rivalry when visiting their message boards. It's one of the reasons I like this site the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted