Registry sets - Scoring/Standings

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

So I have an NGC registry set for my early silver commemoratives, both the 50 piece type set, and the 144 piece type set.

I have noticed that I'll bounce around in the standings, without seeing much updating by other sets, and I can't figure it out.

As an example, the other day I was at 112 in the 50 pc set, added some coins, and moved up to 110. I was looking for a set today, and my set now shows as #64. The 144 set was at 107 (or so), and is now showing as #72. Those are some pretty substantial jumps, and it's a bit confusing.

This has happened before, and after a day or so, or sometimes just later in the day, I'll be back to where I thought I was (in the low 100's). So I expect my sets will be back in the low 100's again.

My question is, have those of you with registry sets noticed this with your set at times, and do you have any explanation?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

There’s an option to either consider all coins (NGC&PCGS) or only the NGC certified coins of your set. By accident I once selected “NGC only” and my position changed significantly. It’s just a view, you do not actually remove coins from your set when you click on “NGC only”.

4. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

NGC periodically revises the point tables for scoring registry sets. These are huge tables, so it is hard to detect when a few values have changed. But it can cause the total points for your and/or other sets to change. If your set total points don't change, then chances are that the total points for some other collectors did if your rank changes.

In addition, sets come and go, and that can change your rank.

Cal

5. Beefer518

@micbraun - NGC no longer allows anything but NGC graded coins in the registry sets. Those that had PCGS coins in their registry got to keep them in there, but they don't have a score. I would love to get my PCGS coins in my set, but I can't. :(

@calcol - I considered that but they haven't changed the scores for the commems in years. As for sets being deleted, I'm not seeing that as the case, as the total number of sets has stayed the same (or within 1 or 2).

I'm talking about where today my 50 set is at 64, but probably later tonight or tomorrow I'll be back where I was, at about 110.

The commem registry is not like the Morgan registry, where there are sets being updated constantly. There have only been 5 sets updated since 4/21 in the commems (50 pc) as of right now. So a standings jump of 56 places makes no sense to me.

6. Beefer518

@micbraun - I take back part of what I said. i think it's a browser thing. One brower seems to default to "All Coins", and the other one defaults to "NGC Only". I never even saw that clickable link to differentiate.

So I'm at now (yes, it changed in the last few minutes) I'm at 72 in NGC only coins, and 104 in All Coins.

Now there have been no updates today, and yet I dropped 8 places since starting this thread (15 mins ago). I'm confused, but I'll leave well enough alone.

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I was very disappointed when they made their Registry set NGC only. I have many PCGS coins loaded into my sets, but I haven't been there to update any of them since they made the change.

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sometimes they update the scores for certain types of coins, which may lead to changes in the scoreboard.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I am well aware of the changes, I believe it was me who posted a thread about this ;-) however PCGS coins still have a score. I have two sets and my PCGS coins are still included in both of them.

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

This. Any PCGS coins that were already in the sets retained their points. When NGC made the change, it grandfathered in PCGS coins that were already part of the registry. No new coins from PCGS are allowed now. Which to me is just ridiculous. Either accept them or don't.

11. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Does PCGS allow NGC coins in their registry sets?

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

No. They were the first to make their registry exclusive to their holders.

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Then I have zero problem with NGC doing the same thing, and would even go so far to say that no PCGS coins should be allowed in the NGC competitive registry sets.

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

This whole “tit for tat” is ridiculous. They basically force collectors to either buy their coins or to cross them over before they can be added.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Maybe, but is it a big deal? If I have a complete set but it is mixed I still know I have it. I don't need a PCGS web page displaying it to validate it.

NSP and Morpheus like this.
  16. Beefer518

I agree that they each should allow the others coins. I heard NGC's reasoning was that they feel that PCGS's standards are not up to what NGC feels is a correct grade. Whatever...

If NGC or PCGS feels that the other 'doesn't grade correctly', then allow them into the registry sets but with a 1-point drop. It's just nice to be able to see your whole set in one listing.

What really 'frosts my nards' (as my father in law used to say), is that NGC no longer allows new PCGS coins into a registry, but grandfathered in those that had them in there already. So I have to 'compete' against PCGS coins without being able to use PCGS coins.

If NGC doesn't like PCGS or vise verse, then give them all a zero point value, but allow them into the set. And no, I don't actually compete, but they're called competitive sets.

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

This is a great idea.

JPeace$ likes this.
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I used to have several top 10 NGC registry sets before I sold them; they were a mix of NGC and PCGS coins. With the exclusive rules I'm done with registry sets.

19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Disappointed!!! Heck, I was PO'ed.
    I had 10-12 NGC Registry Sets.
    Because some were still works in progress and I used both PCGS and NGC coins I was not going to get much further improvement.
    My type set was in the top 20.

Anyway since I was now mad at NGC I deleted all my Registry Sets.

IF I want to do a set I do Custom Sets.
    I've got a couple but it's been so long ago that I don't even remember which ones.

wxcoin likes this.
  20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

If you don’t care about registry sets it isn’t. But if you do, it sure is less fun to buy an AU58+CAC PCGS coin, knowing it won’t upgrade, but you’d have to cross it over first before it can be added to your NGC set.

21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I guess that is my point. What is the big deal about a registry set? If you have the coins isn't that enough satisfaction right there? There would be for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted