Registry Set of Morgans

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lonegunlawyer, Jan 3, 2013.

?

If you could, would you buy it?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2013.
  1. YES

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

No, personally, I am a micro-manager of sorts, and would therefore rather spend the $150K on building my own set (with the 89-CC) and picking the right examples I would find fit to be part of a quality registry set (not to say the seller's collection is sub-par).

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I have owned a set very similar to that one, and it did not cost me that much to put it together.

5. lonegunlawyer

Is this seller including a premium for the time and effort it would take to put a set like this together from scratch?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If I had that kind of money, I'd buy a house. I'm tired of renting someone's dump.

Chris

7. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

I wonder: are these registry sets (collections) essentially intended for fund managers and other (quasi- or ) professional or institutional investors?

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

No mainly its my pocket book is bigger than yours attitude.

I run the registry but its more for tracking purposes. There is only 2 of 23 sets that I have a shot at top 5 but that will be along time away

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Most of the top-rated sets are for snobs who have to "one-up" everybody. They don't care about the hobby and they don't bother sharing photos of their award winning sets. If someone comes along and knocks them off the top of the heap, they will spend whatever necessary to regain their position, and if they can't, they just sell the set.

Chris

Note: The previous statement in no way reflects the opinion of Coin Talk or any of it's employees.

10. lonegunlawyer

Would you spend the money or would you purchase other coins? I mean here it is, a registry set all ready made with bragging rights.

11. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

What is interesting in my little world of collecting Morgan DMPL's, I know about 8 of the top 12 registry holders, all good guys, low ego and help each other. It is not the same in other registry sets.

Back to the OP, no would not buy it.

12. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

The #43 set is hardly a bragging set. The registry set is meaningless, the only bragging right is a complete set of morgans.

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I am not a fan of morgans, I find them boring like wheatbacks, so no I wouldnt spend that much on a set.

14. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Interesting, the one thing that has united (all participating) CT members is not to buy that Morgan registry set :D

15. lonegunlawyer

Mat, you heretic. Bashing the wheat cent?

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I find them boring because everyone has them & they are pretty much a yawn design wise.

17. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

LOL I want to trade in my Wheaties for Kansas farmland. Where can I do this?
    Another dumb question: What is a Whitman Set of Wheaties -1 worth?

18. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

I'm not really interested in date/mint collecting, so I would just spend $2000-4000 on a nice proof, and allocate the rest of the money to other types.

Draft saved Draft deleted