Regimen Orbis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Feb 24, 2021.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I've always wanted to add this hugely symbolic dynastic type struck for Titus. Recently, this bargain specimen came up for sale. The piece has some conditional problems, but I'm supremely happy with it.

T162-.jpg
    Titus
    Æ Sestertius, 23.74g
    Rome mint, 80-81 AD
    Obv: IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, l.
    Rev: PROVIDENT AVGVST; S C in exergue; Vespasian and Titus, both togate, stg. r. and l., together holding globe over rudder
    RIC 162 (C). BMC 178. BNC 169.
    Acquired from CGB.fr, February 2021.

A dynastic type struck during Titus's fairly large bronze issue of 80-81. Mattingly in BMCRE II succinctly sums up the reverse: "A type of 'Providentia Augusti' shows Vespasian, now a god, handing over to Titus the 'regimen orbis', symbolized by a globe over a rudder. 'Providentia' is the virtue of wise foresight, which leads an Emperor to make the succession sure." This bit of imperial propaganda must have been extremely important to the new regime based on the commonness of the type.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow a really neat type. I can see why you would want it. I also think the portrait has some charm.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice. Considering the Julio-Claudians, then ending with Nero, then Civil War... a nice transition was a great feeling. Cool coin!

David Atherton and DonnaML like this.
  5. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Very nice, also I've never seen a Roman coin with a website advertised on it!

:woot:

David Atherton and Orfew like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I like the symbolism suggesting the continuation of the Flavian dynasty after Vespasian's death was a matter of divine providence. A historically important type that tells a story. I see why you acquired it for your collection.

Most coins, such as this one, depict Providentia "just standing there" (as @dougsmit would say) and not actually doing anything.

[​IMG]
    Maximinus I, AD 235-238.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.13 g, 19.2 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, 2nd emission, AD 236.
    Obv: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding baton and cornucopiae; globe at feet.
    Refs: RIC 13; BMCRE 86-88; Cohen 77; RSC 77a; RCV 8315; MIR 11-3.

Draft saved Draft deleted