Reference help for Alexander III bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jul 4, 2015.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm going through some neglected mixed lot coins and came across this interesting Macedonian bronze. From what I've found, it's Alexander III but a more precise reference would be appreciated. Does anyone have Price? There are a few in Wildwinds with the reverse of "eagle standing right, head reverted".

SML20-ATG-AE17-EagleHeadReverted.jpg
    Here's a possible attribution from Wildwinds:
    Alexander III, 336-323 BC
    AE 17, 3.6 gm. Macedonia mint
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lionskin headdress.
    Rev: AΛEΞANΔΡOΥ, eagle standing right on thunderbolt, head turned back, crescent on its wing above.
    Ref: Price 91

The image in Wildwinds doesn't quite match the description, even for the coin shown with the Price 91 listing:
    Wildwinds-ATG-AE-Price91.jpg

That's not a crescent above the wing. Others of this type show a definite crescent but my coin and the Wildwinds Price 91 entry show a sideways Φ. The reverse legend on my coin is mostly indecipherable but it looks like "A (or Λ) Γ" above the eagle.

The style of my coin has a rather unofficial look.

Help and opinions are appreciated :).

dlhill132, vlaha, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Additional information:

This type of reverse (eagle standing, head reverted) appears to be far less common than the usual bow case reverse. I'm not finding many in various archives. There are two currently for sale on Vcoins and the asking prices are rather astounding. Both are in far better condition than mine, of course.

[​IMG]
    KINGDOM OF MACEDON. ALEXANDER III, THE GREAT, 336-323 BC. Æ16, AMPHIPOLIS. HEAD OF HERAKLES IN LION-SKIN HEADDRESS / EAGLE STANDING WITH HEAD REVERTED, IVY-LEAF TO LEFT. …
    KINGDOM of MACEDON. Alexander III, the Great, 336-323 BC. Æ16 (3.54 gm) Amphipolis. Head of Herakles in lion-skin headdress / Eagle standing with head reverted, ivy-leaf to left. Price.28. aXF, smooth dark green patina. Scarce. $225.
    http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/peg...everted_ivyleaf_to_left__/498387/Default.aspx

So, Pegasi is calling the reverse symbol an "ivy leaf". That does look more like my coin.

Another example, sans ivy leaf, from Apollo Numismatics:
    [​IMG]
    MACEDONIAN KINGDOM: ALEXANDER III AE17 (HALF UNIT) – HERAKLES/EAGLE
    Macedonian Kingdom: Alexander III �17, 336-323 BC, 4.48gm, 17.3mm. Obv: Head right of youthful Herakles, wearing lionskin headress. Rev: Eagle standing right on thunderbolt, head reverted; AΛEΞA-NΔPOY surrounding. SNG Alpha Bank 708f; Price 158v (eagle right). gVF. $350.

dlhill132, vlaha, WDF and 2 others like this.
  4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I have no idea since I don't know Greek coins well enough. Your coin and the higher grade Wildwinds coin looks like a match even if the description doesn't match.

TIF likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I think you're correct with your first example (I think both coins have Φ rather than a crescent ... or I guess they could also both be poorly drawn ivy leafs ... leaves?)

Their example has AΛEΞA NΔPOY wrapped around it ... your tighter-flanned example only shows ΞA N above your eagle and Y in front of its bird-leg

Oh, sorry => I really like your new cool addition!!

:rolleyes:

WDF, Gil-galad and TIF like this.
  6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I think mine has an ivy leaf, I have it down as "similar" to Price 91, don't know if it helps:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Alexander III
    Coin: AE16
    None - Head of Herakles right, wearing lionskin headdress
    ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ - eagle standing right on thunderbolt, head turned back,leaf before
    Mint: Macedonia (336-323 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.90g / 16mm / -
    Similar to Price 91

dlhill132, vlaha, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, ivy leaf it is!!

:rolleyes:

Nice coin, Pish

TIF likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

On the new coin I suspect the AΛEΞANΔΡOΥ is divided AΛE---ΞANΔΡ------OΥ so the "A (or Λ) Γ" above the eagle is ΔΡ. I see OY at right and traces of what could be ΞAN at 11 o'clock but have no idea where (off flan) AΛE went. Such changes in spacing are normal but the idea of the coin being unofficial remains possible. People who have handled thousands of these might understand. That is not I.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I see nothing to indicate that the piece could be unofficial. Legend arrangement variations are extremely common for this time period.

I do have a copy of Price, but I'm out of town until Monday.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted