Ref Book Price Disparity

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by eealopez, Feb 15, 2010.

1. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

What book should I go by? I have 2010 Official Blackbook Price Guide to United States Coins and 2010 U.S. Coin Digest. Blackbook's prices list higher than US Coins. For example, I was viewing a certified slabbed 1913 Type 2 Buffalo Nickel EF-40. Blackbook's price is $25.00. Coin Digest's price is $18.50. That's a huge spread. What is the standard guidebook used by dealers and experienced coin collectors?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

CDN or Coin Dealers Newsletter, look it up and you can

CDN or Coin Dealers Newsletter, (also known as The Grey Sheet) look it up and you can buy a single copy for this week or last online. Those books are not for true coin values, only ballpark type values at best.

4. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

CDN can give you good price guidance for dealer-to-dealer transactions. You can also search completed auction listings on-line, from eBay, Heritage Auctions, and TeleTrade. You might have to sign up at some sites to get access to the completed auction pricing but it's free.

5. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I've watched a few items on ebay. What other auction sites do you suggest to which I sign up?

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Teletrade and Heritage (I use Heritage the most). Also NumisMedia is a good guide, and can give you a general idea, but completed auctions are usually most accurate.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and stay away from the black book.

8. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Treashunt, why stay away from the black book?

9. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Thank you very much!

10. ammkost

ammkost Junior Member

If you don't already know,
    Check out ebay's completed sales in their advanced search. :kewl:
    Type in your criteria and check the box for completed sales below.

Also try this page.....

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

......it's not written in stone, but it's an interesting site that is always being updated....it's been helpful for me
    Good luck...

Draft saved Draft deleted