Ebay: REDUCED! Big old lump o'gold with an Eagle in it

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by -jeffB, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, everybody --

LAST CHANCE on this listing -- I've dropped BIN to $1650, with current melt value at $1632. Make me an offer at $1625, include your CoinTalk handle in the offer message, and it's yours.

I made this listing on New Year's Eve to take advantage of a selling promotion. I was hoping gold might go up more between then and now, but them's the breaks. Listing closes late Sunday night.

Heavy 14k GOLD pendant with 1899-S $10 Gold Eagle, nearly a full ounce of gold!

upload_2021-1-26_13-57-39.png

upload_2021-1-26_13-57-55.png

upload_2021-1-26_14-3-27.png

This is a not-especially-beautiful but massive 14K pendant, with an 1899-S $10 gold eagle mounted. These are intentionally unflattering photos; in hand, the coin doesn't look that bad, but it's certainly not pristine. The whole thing weighs 38.11g, 1.225 troy ounces. With the eagle weighing (by specification) 16.71g, that leaves 21.40g of 14K gold in the mount. At gold's current price of just over $1852/oz, that puts the total melt value right around $1640.

I tried very gingerly to pry one of the mounting prongs up when I first got this piece, and quickly decided I didn't want to take the risk. You won't be able to remove the coin without leaving traces of the mount; better to think of this just as a gold investment.

BIN is listed at $1700 $1650, with free shipping -- for an item of this value, I strongly prefer to ship Registered, and I want to do the transaction on eBay to protect both myself and the buyer. I am accepting offers, but I'm not looking to sell below melt, and I'd like to get enough of a margin to cover at least some of my eBay/PayPal/shipping costs -- PayPal alone is going to get almost $50 out of this, at the current price.

If you want to buy this, and particularly if you want to make an offer, please DM me here with your eBay username and/or mention your CoinTalk username in an eBay message. I'm always happy to deal with other CoinTalkers, and if you're making an offer, I'll consider it more favorably. :)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021