Rediscovery

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nate: I am REALLY enjoying your postings. Although I am aware of those Ancient Worlds that you show, you take it further and bring LIFE to those Histories. Thanks for that, and please continue! I am enjoying them immensely!

Ancientnoob and John Anthony like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

AN always has interesting Eastern stuff to share. I don't collect much of it, only here and there on a whim, but it's all his fault!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Pay back, for all that muddling I did in the Arabian desert looking for exceptional Nabatean silver....and coming up empty handed. I once thought they were not that hard to find, boooy was I wrong!

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Neither do I collect the "Eastern stuff", and as yet I haven't had the whim to buy any. But even so, it's Anoob's fault.

TIF and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. Ancientnoob

In due time. What you need is a Roman coin imitated by Indians or other nondescript persons.

7. Alegandron

I did pick up a couple Mauryan Empire silver squares :), because of my knowledge of Chandragupta uniting India and fighting with Alexander's legacy Generals... Alexander's battle of Hydaspes against Porus really showed the mettle of the Indian Empire to come!

John Anthony and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. Ancientnoob

Can you imagine the circumstances required to turn back the Greeks. The heat and rain, tough terrain and the squirts from eating too much curry, it must have awful.

Jwt708 and Bing like this.
  9. John Anthony

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. In three years of collecting Nabataeans, I've only come across two drachms that I considered buying, because they graded VF, and they were struck with the regnal-year dates intact...

2 selaim.jpg

Eng, Bing, Alegandron and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ancientnoob

Rub in JA, rub it in. Wait till I find a Tet of the Nabateans.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

LOL, perfect analogy, but yes! To-boot, Porus had elephants, and the Makedonians had not really taken those behemoths on before that battle! That battle too a LONG time to stage, and they weren't used to monsoons, a nasty swollen river, etc... but i loved that they virtually came to a draw (slight win to Alexander), mutual respect, and Alexander made Porus a Satrap. The Brits may contend that THEY actually invented Curry Dishes... but that is an argument for the Brits in the Crowd... :D

12. Ancientnoob

I am running out of continents to buy coins from. I should make a list of all the ancient Kingdoms that made coins and see what I have left to collect. Once that is done I will have to start collecting Morgans.

Jwt708 and Alegandron like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A real problem with collecting something 'not Roman' is that it forces us to realize just how much of ancient history and culture there is that we had not the slightest clue ever happened. Another problem is that there are very interesting people and places that left us no coins to collect (should we study them anyway?). Examples of this can be found easily all across India where coins are common for a few rulers and almost unknown for the generations before and after them. We know a lot about Roman, quite a bit about Greek, some about Persian and it goes downhill fast from there.

Ancientnoob and Alegandron like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

:eek:

15. John Anthony

I collected Morgans once, but my idea of collecting Morgans was to have 25 worn ones that I bought for spot and kept in a bag. Then I would run them through my hands because they felt so much more like real money than all the nickel-clad junk.

Ancientnoob, TIF and Alegandron like this.
  16. Alegandron

There WAS a Civilization on Antarctica... according to some myths and Alien-seekers. You should go chase around there for a while and do some digs... :D

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. Alegandron

VERY much agree with that statement! I understand there are civilizations in the Indus Valley that ran practically concurrently with the "Cradle of Civilization" in Mesopotamia that they have no clue about their histories, due to no known records or writing, or being able to decipher. Same scenario with Central Asia, etc. that Anoob is chasing...

Ancientnoob likes this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I haven't really started with them yet, but I look at all the Eastern offerings that come up in auctions these days, and it is indeed anoob's fault. Actually, last year I did pick up a Sasanian silver, and that definitely was his fault.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  19. Ancientnoob

There is some new evidence coming to light that might suggest the use of coins in the indus valley as early as the 9th century BC. I will find a refrence but daaannng, show the Lydians how it's done.

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Yeah, I have been fascinated with that...been thinking about the Lydian Coinage and then, Mauryan coinage being early 5th-6th C. BCE; then a lot of the squares, earlier...looking SIMULTANEOUS to Lydia... so, hmmm...they were learning how to make them BEFORE a bunch of coins hit the scene in 6th-5th C. BCE...

21. Ancientnoob

Alegandron - you need to get a Magadha Series 0 or Series I punchmark. Its a must have!!!

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted