Rediscovery Token

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by laurentyvan, Dec 3, 2016.

1. laurentyvan

laurentyvan Active Member

In the process of cleaning out a closet I came across a small box that jingled, the sound to which a coin collectors ear is attuned to.
    I had quite forgotten this little box years ago, so closing the closet door on the clean I crept away, quietly.
    Quite a diverse collection included this token, Maximus Non Plus Ultra, 1827. Established collectors are probably familiar with it, but its got an interesting history, so...
    IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

There was a coin shortage in France during the reign of Charles X-many French cities began producing their own coinage. In 1827 an unknown copper coin began appearing in Lille and people claimed that the effigy was Napoleon II, son of Napoleon Bonaparte and that political propaganda was involved.
    "The truth was that a merchant of Liege had sold to Mr. M*** for 4,000 francs of the lion 320.000 Maximus tokens/coins, which were circulated among all the small foreign coins then in use. In Lille the alleged currency took over."
    maximus non plus ultra: the greatest, none surpass.

I have no idea whether or not this token has value, other than intrinsic. If anyone knows, please shout it out.

Siberian Man likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Doesn't look like it, few bucks on ebay. Still a neat token with some cool history.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A totally ignorant fool would tell you that you have something quite unique........I think. :)

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So......................that's your opinion???:)

Draft saved Draft deleted