Red pennies

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jimm, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Would these Lincoln pennies be considered error because of the color and if environment played a role how could they be considered error I thought environment cannot contribute to a coin IMG_20200711_022737612~2.jpg

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No

4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

No, but your grammar would. There is no character limit, so type away and use normal sentences.

I don't really understand a thing you put there, but they look completely normal. So first, the color is completely normal. Mint state pennies are red, and that is completely natural. The next bit, I don't quite get.... and then no, environment can completely contribute to a coin. It can contribute negatively or positively. A negative example would be corrosion on a penny like yours when the copper reacts with water and soil and corrodes. That forms a crusty green layer that is not attractive and not good at all. Positive environmental contribution would be like toning. Toning, with Morgan dollars for example, happens when the silver reacts with water, air, and sulfur to create a layer of silver sulfide which bends the light and reflects it with all these beautiful colors.

GH#75, Nyatii, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

They are in their natural mint Red state. That's not an error. It's how they're supposed to be, if well preserved, which those are.

Mountain Man and LA_Geezer like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You have too many wrong thoughts. I've told you before that you need to learn about and understand how the minting process works. ~ Chris

7. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Not pennies but CENTS, I know be patient with these guys they will help you if you show respect and do what they ask I am telling YOU THEY ARE A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE.. this is what they do

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Jimm Helpful tip. If you don't make an attempt at punctuation, it makes your post difficult to read and understand. Remember, members are offering their time and knowledge to answer questions. If it's hard to decipher your question, it may be ignored. I'm other words, if somebody can't make a modest effort to post a coherent question, many won't put in an effort to answer it.

Hope this helps

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There are Cents, not pennies and no the color is not an error.

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I appreciate the information, however, if the environment can give a negative rating on a penny/cent, why does toning (an environment effect) give a Morgan a positive rating?

11. Coin Obsessed

Coin Obsessed Active Member

I still don't get what you are trying to state here.:(

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

And it pays to proofread your post before you hit the "Post Reply" button. LOL

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

I think @lordmarcovan summed it up nicely and I agree with his post.
    Grammar, punctuation, cent vs penny, are more about personal quirks but should be important when asking individuals that are knowledgeable in the field to answer your questions.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Yeah, the Amazon tablet has the absolute worst autocorrect. It likes to randomly substitute of-or-on-if-in for each other, even if you've used it in the correct context. I had one other instance today where it replaced "in" with "I'm" but I caught it. And don't get me started on the camera. My old 4S phone takes better pics. If you're going to buy a tablet, avoid the Amazon fire.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I agree with paddyman no!

16. Mountain Man

I turned autocorrect off on my computer for the same reason.

expat likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Depends on what you mean by "rating". If you are talking about the numerical value assigned by a TPG, toning shouldn't affect it until it gets to the destructive stage whee it is destroying the coin. If you are talking about how it can affect the price the coin sells for, you will find people who love or hate toning.

18. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

Not pennies but CENTS

Pennies, cents. A rose by any other name ..... Some of you Grammer Queens need to rotate your thumbs...

Draft saved Draft deleted