Red Patina on silver? What is it? How to remove it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arashpour, Jun 20, 2018.

1. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

Guys as far as I know red patina should not be on silver coins it is not copper silver has dark patina but this drachm of mine has red patina. Can someone explain if this is normal? I am a bit thinking it is artificial with chemicals? Also how can be removed? AtticaAthena.jpg

Jrohz, ro1974 and Cucumbor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I havew no idea what the "patina" may be, but if it's silver, you can clean it with a lemon juice/water solution. It looks silver from the image.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Looks like an Iron compound by the color and texture.

arashpour likes this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Coins dug up in Spain sometimes have that orange rust color, as desertgem already said its caused by the high iron level in the soil overthere.
    looks very nice, I would never clean it.

Buddy Greene played an awsome song about it, its called Orange Blossom, makes me happy when I hear it.

6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Yes, it looks like soil (or remnants of). I would not personally clean it, it looks wonderful the way it is.

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I would definitely not clean it either. Nice one.

Q

arashpour and randygeki like this.
  8. arashpour

Thanks all for comments I was just worried if it will eat out the coin kind of what horn silver or bronze disease does and was worried if over time it damages the coin. But if you guys think its safe I will leave it as is. So this type of encrustation is natural and have been seen right? because most silver coin I have seen did not have this iron rust on them.

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've had some coins with the rust look to them & they have been OK. Some were unappealing and some gave it character. I myself like look of yours and as others have said, leave as is.

arashpour and Cucumbor like this.
  10. arashpour

Thanks Mat. Guys please let me know what is the date of this coin? is it 450 BC as described?

11. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Leave it as is, no harm to it.

12. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

dont clean it, keep it original:) off you needs to be a exper/ expertise and know what you are doing.

13. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Just opposite. It actually protects the silver. it is called the cathodic protection. Silver on gold, copper or iron on silver, lead on copper protects the more noble metal.

arashpour likes this.
  14. arashpour

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This Alexandrian tet of Nero and Claudia Octavia has quite a bit of red:

Nero and Claudia Octavia.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted