Red book vs blue book, what is the difference.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wd40, Jan 14, 2012.

1. wd40

wd40 Member

Hi all,

This Red book and Blue book of American coins is not clear to me, what are the differences between the two?

both books are cheap I can get them both, but shipping is expensive, so if for example most of the information in the blue book is in the red book, then I will get the red book only.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Red Book is a retail guide, and the Blue Book is a wholesale guide.

Chris

4. wd40

wd40 Member

Yes, I read that on amazon, but still I do not get it, Red book has 432 pages, the blue book has 256 pages, something is missing.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The Red Book has a lot if information in it that the Blue Book does not have - thus the difference in pages. If you want information about the coins, buy the Red Book.

Just ignore the prices listed in it.

6. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Doug's got it right. The Red Book has great baseline information for series of coins and generalized pricing. But if you're shopping the auctions, dealers and third party sellers, you're going to see a varying discrepency. So a word of advice, research is your best price guide.

7. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Some sellers on ebay have the RedBook for good prices with Free Shipping. ;)

8. wd40

wd40 Member

Thanks all, I will get the red book then.
    McBlzr, I am not in USA, thus the high shipping costs.
    I will also be getting
    - A Guide Book of United States Proof Sets 2nd Edition
    - Kraus 5 DVD Set - 1601 - date
    - Numismatic Photography, 2nd edition
    - kraus Unusual World Coins
    - Spink catalog - for British coins

any others I should get?, I am mainly interested in world coins.

9. BMoscato

BMoscato ANA# R-1181086

If you can find it, I like Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins

10. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Now that you just brought that up, might as well try to purchase it all from one source, like Amazon. That way they can bundle the whole thing up for shipping and save you money.

11. wd40

wd40 Member

as per the shocking prices I saw, this will cost more than all the other :D , I will skip this one.

12. GDJMSP

That depends entirely on your specific interest. What you're getting covers generalities. From there the books are specialized. I can recommend books for many coins, but I need to know your specific interests first.

13. GDJMSP

Then get ready for even greater shock for books are not cheap. I've got many I paid hundreds for.

14. wd40

wd40 Member

I would love to do that, but it is not possible, Kraus 5 DVD set is only available on kraus site, Spink only available in amazon.co.uk or some British e-bay sellers, others available on amazon.com :(

15. wd40

wd40 Member

No specific interests at the moment, trying to cover the basics of world coins, I am mainly into proof and mint sets so that eliminates the need for the more expensive specialized books.

16. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

That's a shame, wish I had other ideas for you.

17. GDJMSP

As long as you stick to the modern stuff, you've got what you need. And you really don't need Spink.

18. wd40

wd40 Member

I was thinking about that, the only reason I wanted Spink because kraus catalog has lots of missing details about coins in the early UK proof sets.

kookoox10 : Thanks, I am used to this, "IF" these books were available in my country, it would still be cheaper for me to buy them online and pay the high shipping costs :D, same thing goes for coins.

19. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

If you are interested in Canadian coins there are a few catalogs that may interest you:
    Coins of Canada by Haxby - great catalog for the more casual collector of Canadian coins - covers some tokens, provincial issues, Canadian circulating and non-circulating issue and some paper money - a lot of bang for the buck and highly recommended.
    The Charlton catalogue of Canadian Coins vols 1 & 2 - the definitive catalogs of Canadian coinage extremely detailed with tons of information. Vol 1 covers circulating issues and provincial coins, while Vol. 2 is dedicated to the non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) issues. If you are a serious collector of Canadian coinage, these are the catalogs for you. Charlton also produced a catalog of Canadian tokens which is excellent.

20. wd40

wd40 Member

Which one has more details?, mainly coin size, composition and weight?, does any of them have information about proof sets?

Thanks.

21. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Free pricing at coins.ha.com

Draft saved Draft deleted