Red Book version for World Coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Jan 26, 2015.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Is there a Red Book version for classic and modern (non-US and non-antique) world coins? Trying to get more into world silver coins so if there's a dominant authority on world coins, that would be a very helpful guide book. I'm sure that would be a very thick book, too...

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Krause series of catalogs are about the best you will find but the descriptions and prices are pretty vague.

spirityoda and Kasia like this.
  4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll look into that more. From what I saw, it looks like it's by period - makes sense, otherwise, i'm sure the book will be ridiculously big. Hopefully US coins aren't listed in there.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The Krause catalogs are pretty hefty, even being broken down by era.

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I have each century from 1600 to 2006 and others for tokens and banknotes.
    Once bought you don`t have to update the older ones.
    And yes they are hefty, you need strong shelving racks .:eek:

009.JPG

jello, jj00, Seattlite86 and 2 others like this.
  7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I have two catalogs. They are expensive if you go to buy current ones. I went to a show and saw that one guy had new ones for him plus some older ones. I bought two older ones for 10.00 for both. That's a good deal, because you can't say the prices are solid anyways, but it is still enough to identify coins and get mintages and see which ones seem to be more collectable than others.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Krause catalog considers the US to be part of the world ;) so yes, they are listed there. But as you can imagine, other countries (especially the prolific issuers of collector coins) take up most space when it comes to modern issues ...

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just didn't want it to be too dense of a book. I suspected it would be in there but preferred it to not be there since I have the Red Book and other price guides.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you can buy the CD computer disc versions on Ebay.

J.A.K. likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are also books for specific countries, books that are the equivalent of the Red Book. For example, Gadoury is the red book for France, Spink is the red book for Great Britain. And these books typically provide more and better information than what you will find in Krause.

But not every country has its own version of the red book, some do and some don't. So it depends on where your interests lie as to what will best serve your needs.

mlov43 likes this.
  12. coolhandred

coolhandred Member

I have a copy of R S Yeoman, A Catalog of Modern World Coins, 1850-1964, 7th edition that was published in 1967. It is pretty comprehensive and is priced reasonably. You should be able to pick up a used copy for under $25.

jello likes this.
  13. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

I found that the best way to store the Krause Standard Cat's. is to put them in those plastic nearly triangular boxes for unbound magazines.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

If you want one Books A Million has it on sale for $19.95. I just picked up one for a friend. But all stores may not be doing same thing.

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Check Barnes and noble. If you want smaller, they have a few paperback books that can almost fit in your pocket. However, these guided tend to group years together and don't offer mintages. I don't see how they are useful at all. Maybe if you were trying to figure out a type set or something.

16. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Get the Krause CD's .. they weigh nothing and take up no storage space.

J.A.K. likes this.
  17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

In the 20th Krause I bought online Spain was missing LOL that's funny because I am right now in the Canary Islands enjoying the sun :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Believe it or not US coins are listed and they all have KM numbers... the US is just another country ;-)

19. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

What edition was it that is missing Spain? the 42nd edition of the 20th Century volume has it. Thanks, Fred

20. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

"Believe it or not" for 98% of the world the US is just another country! I used to get a lot of complaints for not running US coins in World Coin News New Issues Roundup.

21. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

... and hope you never loose power or have a computer crash on you. Candles and catalogs for ever!!

Draft saved Draft deleted