Red Book on Franklin & Kennedy halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Skelton, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

The Red Book is a relatively inexpensive guide book...a guide...not a current/spot price list, etc. I carry it with me in a spiral variation almost wherever I go (in the car), but I don't take it/the information to the bank. I don't use a smartphone with internet access nor carry a laptop or mini, so it comes in handy/convenient, as/for a reference, a general idea, etc. It also has lots of good info. on some grading standards for each coin plus other, etc. Could it have more...yes...but it might not be so convenient...and where does it stop...?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

When I was really young, my grandfather had a change tray on his dresser full of old change he pulled from circulation. He had everything back to Barbers and some Seated Liberty coins...all quite circulated. I saw them first when my grandmother carried me into their bedroom for a nap.

After that, I would sneak into their bedroom for a closer look. I would pull out the drawers to make "stairs" so I could climb on top of the dresser and run my hands through the coins.

Fast forward 50 years and I bought a bunch of old, circulated rolls from eBay and dumped them into a silver dish (a sterling bed warmer, actually). I keep the warmer on my dresser so I can run my hands through the old coins once in a while...like I did on my grandfather's dresser. Crazy, I know, but it makes me happy. :) You can't do that with uncirculated coins in slabs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Franklins don't get the FBL les than MS-60 I don't believe. And raw Kennedys' sure they have value. Bullion for the silver ones and 50 cents for the CuNi clad ones.

5. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

About right. If I bundle and receive over $100 the percentage is 30%. They win either way because buyer also pay a premium.

6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yes, I'd recommend it. Just know that it has no information on grades below MS60. For that, I guess you'll have to refer to the Red Book that covers all U.S. coins. I didn't realize it was different in that regard.

7. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

I do! Kennedy's that is. I buy them by the box from my bank and go through each one with a microscope. I ONLY keep Kennedy's with ZERO scratches. You would be surprised how many I find with zero scratches. To be honest, for me, the trick is to look at the shield on the reverse. It can't be worn at the top of each corner. It has to be crisp with no bending and zero scratches on the shield. If you can find that, then the odds are really good that the rest of the coin (Obverse) will have zero scratches as well. My favorite ones to collect are Bi-Centennials. In the last box I got from the bank, I found 10 Bi-Centennials with ZERO scratches on them. Again, the trick is to buy them by the box. It cost $500 for the box and most people won't shell out $500 for a box. Thus, nice coins to find.

yakpoo likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

please re-read my post--

I said circ coins

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Around 2009-2010, I was visiting Langley AFB, VA. At lunch, I stopped by the Credit Union to see if they had any rolls of the latest Presidential Dollars. When it was my turn in line, I politely asked if they had any of the new Dollars. The teller said "No...but I have a box of these"...as he puts a small, square box on the counter.

The box was a sealed $500 box of Kennedy Half Dollars (current year I presumed). I was thinking of buying a roll or two...just as an Air Force guy behind me shouted out..."I'll take the entire box!". It was a sealed box and I didn't want the coins bad enough to mess up a sealed box, so I let him have it. For some reason I had to hand him the box. I was AMAZED how much that little box weighed!

Draft saved Draft deleted